Community Manager

Re: 1000001 COPING STRATEGIES & DISTRACTIONS

@j95 @Craycray17 hahaha, i never thought about mindful meat eating before... hmmm, it sure as hell would distract me from whatever i was thinking about before though Smiley Frustrated

I really should give Smiling Mind a go. 

73. Hold your breath for a really long time.

Because this might not make sense:

I am a bit nuts about a thing called Freediving, and also do a fair bit of Spearfishing. So i have learned how to hold my breath for a really long time, like i can do 3 minutes and 30 seconds now, which i thought was just impossible when i started. The important thing is to do this somewhere safe like a bed, where you can't fall over and hurt yourself, and never ever ever do any breath holding in water unless you have a buddy who is looking out for you and who knows CPR!

So here's how to get started.

1. Sit on a comfy chair or lay on a bed.
  2. Breathe calmly and slowly for 2 minutes – No deeper or faster than you would normally.
  3. Take a deep breath in, then exhale everything, then take a really deep breath in… as deep as you can manage.
  4. As you hold your breath, relax and think of something simple, like what you need to buy at the shops later.
  5. When you cant manage anymore take some deep inhales to recover. Always focus on your inhales and not your exhales when recovering!

Post Mod

That sounds so interestesting @Ben-RO! I'm actually going to try it right now. I'll be messaging my result in a few minutes.
Also, yes get onto smiling mind, it's so simple yet so effective! I use it during the day, and also nearly every night before I go to sleep, ita great for clearing your mind and winding down.
For such a long time, psychological findings have been suggested to have complete silence for sleep, but for those who have trouble with stress or being to wound up to wind down for sleep, having something to listen to like smiling mind or a podcast is effective in keeping our mind distracted from worries so we can catch some zzz

we are what we repeatedly do - aristotle
Post Mod

@Ben-RO I lasted 2 minutes! Pretty impressed with that one
Post Mod

[ Edited ]

A new coping strategy from me - of course related to dogs.

74. Visit a leash free dog park.

I've been visiting a leash free a few times a week in the afternoon when I feel crappy. There are so many cool breeds of dogs and happy dogs that want pats. It's like the best free therapy ever.

.... & how can I think about feeling shitty when there are Golden Retrievers and English Bulldogs trying to play with me?

(insert dog emoji here because cat emoji doesn't cut it)

lanejane
Builder

🐶🐺
//caught in fire, watch me burn gonna live my life, mark these words cause I'm home//
Post Mod

Omg yes @lanejane! Dogs fix all
Community Manager

@Craycray17, nice effort! Way better than i did on my first go!

75. Go geocaching. 

Community Manager

76. Inspired by @Ben-RO's breathing technique, I want to add Yogic Breathing aka Pranayama! My favourite is to lie on the floor and think of your breath like a wave. Inhale and try to fill up the bottom of your belly with air, then slowly let it rise up to fill your rib cage and up to your neck. Then exhale and push the breath out from the top until you get back down to the bottom of your belly. Repeat as necessary until you feel rad!

Community Manager

@ElleBelle

I have done Pranaya too! How good is it Smiley Happy 

77.  Go on a photo walk

Builder

78. Call khl
Top High Fived Authors