Builder

Breaking Cycles and Stereotypes

I wanted to make this thread because I feel like being able to stand up and change things is really bloody awesome, like being able to break out of a group and show your differences rather than continue to follow the crowd or break a cycle of something negative. 

I thought of this thread because of my own experiences, I won't talk too much about it but when I was growing up my parents were both unemployed and they had really bad addictions and habits. We spent a lot of time in and out of different accomodation. I always knew that wasn't the way things were supposed to be, I always knew in my head that's not how I wanted things to be for me. Unfortunately it's a cycle a lot of people get stuck in, and that could the case for my parents. I think I managed to break out of that cycle of unemployment and disadvantage by taking a different path, completley standing up to the people that told me I would be nothing because I had nothing. I have to fight really hard for what I've got and I still do but I've got a job, I fully support myself, I have things to be proud of like a new business. I feel like I'm leading a meaningful life despite being told that I'd just be trapped in the cycle my family raised me in. I have broken out of that cycle.

I'm interested to know if there has ever been a time you have gone against the "norm" or broken out of something? It could be with your friends, maybe you decided to show your true self which is completely different to your friends perceptions of you, or maybe it's similar to mine, either way I'd really like to hear people's experiences.
//caught in fire, watch me burn gonna live my life, mark these words cause I'm home//
Mod

Re: Breaking Cycles and Stereotypes

Haha my entire life is breaking norms @j95 Smiley Tongue

Thank you for sharing your experiences with us j, it is pretty awesome to break out of those cycles Smiley Happy
Star contributor

@N1ghtW1ng @j95

I did the reverse, my life was constantly against the norm and defying perceptions placed upon me without consent. Still do it too. It's almost a game to me now.

Mod

It can be rather fun to shove social norms in the bin @Nat8 Smiley Tongue I definitely wasn't how society expects a teenager to be Smiley Tongue
Builder

Yessss I totally get you @Nat8 people see your circumstances and almost predict things for you
//caught in fire, watch me burn gonna live my life, mark these words cause I'm home//
Star contributor

Exactly! @N1ghtW1ng @j95, I was always so frustrated so rather than talk my way out I just showed people instead. needless to say there were many bruises but that never ruins the fun Smiley Tongue
Builder

Exactly prove them wrong, prove to them that we actually can do it @Nat8
Star contributor

hahaha @j95 always! Is it weird that I get more offended for other people in similar situations rather than get offended for myself?
Builder

Hmm no I don't think so pretty normal I think @Nat8
Star contributor

Hmmm well yeah don't really care about what you say to me but if you say it about someone else I get offended. People always give me weird mixed reactions! @j95.
Top High Fived Authors