Builder

Getting a new psychologist

I have been going to Headspace for a long time now, but in November my psychologist left Smiley Sad and they gave me somebody else.

The new person is a good psych, for somebody else.... but not really for me. And I haven't been back there since last year when they closed for Christmas because I simply don't feel comfortable with him, its not suiting me. This really sucks because going to Headspace took a lot of courage and patience, but its not working and its time to move on. I'm just not sure how to do this Smiley Sad It's going to be tough, but I think it has to happen, if it doesnt happen I'll just keep continuing to not go at all.

//caught in fire, watch me burn gonna live my life, mark these words cause I'm home//
Builder

Re: Getting a new psychologist

@j95 are you comfortable enough to talk to headspace about getting another psychologist. Or going to your gp and getting a mental health plan
Builder

I don't know how it works @redhead I don't know if there is more than one there, if there isn't I'd have to go somewhere completley new and that's the scary part.
Yeah already have one of those plans
//caught in fire, watch me burn gonna live my life, mark these words cause I'm home//
Community Manager

@j95 well they might have two psychologists! It can't hurt to ask Smiley Happy

I have had a bit of a read and here's what i've found so far:

You might be able to go to a new headspace centre if they can't offer you a new psycholgist at the centre you go to, but that would be up to the centre and you might have to go back to the doctor for a referral. 

As far as i understand if you have a mental health plan you can also just go back to your GP and ask them to refer you to a different Psychologist.

You could also have a look around and see if you can find a psychologist who knows about some of the things you're working on... like maybe someone who knows lots of things about working with PTSD stuff, or who knows about acceptance and commitment therapy (might be hard to find that one!). If you find one and they have space to take you, you can ask your GP to refer you to them! The tricky thing here is to check that the person you see is eligible for the medicare rebate, not everyone is.

I haven't dug toooo deep yet, so i suggest double checking all this I think Medicare might be the best option for finding answers 132 011 but your GP might know a bit too Smiley Happy

Builder

@Ben-RO thanks Smiley Happy
The thing that's really good about this particular centre is they offer after hours appointments, whereas not many others do. It's tricky for me to get an appointment during business hours because of work. So I think a first step might be checking if there's somebody else at this current one that I can see, and if not you've pointed me in a good direction
Builder

Bit of an update here @Ben-RO @redhead
So I've decided, and I might be limiting myself here that if i chose to stay my current headspace centre, my appointments need to stay at the same time, because it was already difficult to fit it in with them because their after hours get filled up so quick, I don't want to stuff it up. So I called them (woo, good effort by me) and they said the only other person that could do that same time would be a women psychologist, and, I guess it doesn't really matter that much but I'm also not real sure if I'm comfortable with that. I said I'd call them back. There is still the option of going elsewhere too.
Mod

Could you meet this other psychologist first @j95? To see how you feel about her?
Builder

Yeah that's a possibility @N1ghtW1ng
Super frequent scribe

hi @j95 

i recently went through a similar experience to you.

so i had a psychologist to start with but i started to think her methods werent working and kept questioning her and after a while i started to feel unconfortable around her as i began not to trust her so our relationship that way was starting to struggle so i made the very hard decision to change.

although im on a gp mental health plan its still a similar situation as to what you are in now. when i decided the change was needed i met with another psychologist that was experienced in the area that i needed them to be. i feel alot more comfortable with a female psych but thats personal preference and my past makes me a bit nervous around males.

ive also been and still go t a headspace centre and find that they are pretty accomodating to your needs to if your comfortable with a femaly pscyh that they are offering it might be worth while to just have one session with her just as a get to know you session. youll know within that first session whether you click ot not Smiley Happy

if you then find that you like her then stay with her Smiley Happy if not it really is fine most psychologist know that its not easy to find one that suits you and they want to make sure you get the best care and one of those is to make sure you feel comfortable. they wont feel offended if you change Smiley Happy you wouldnt be the first person to change pscyhologists so dont feel bad Smiley Happy

if you decide that you dont want a female psych or you jsut dont click with her then maybe see your gp for a mental health plan you get 10 free sessions a year and im sure you could find a male psychologist within your area that accepts the health plan as i found that there were way more than i realsied in my area that accepts them

good luck Smiley Happy let us know how you go (if you feel comfortable in doing so, no pressure )

Builder

I'm just wondering that if I do what some of you have suggested and have a trial appointment would it count towards my 10 sessions?? 

Top High Fived Authors