Star contributor

Re: Getting a new psychologist

ok @j95 so you find it hard to ring them up?

do you have a family member or friend that could make the call for you?

Builder

Sometimes I find phone calls hard, some calls I'm ok but I do struggle with calling helplines and for appointments for stuff Smiley Very Happy
I don't really have anybody else who can do it
I'm so damn pathetic
//caught in fire, watch me burn gonna live my life, mark these words cause I'm home//
Star contributor

NO your not , i struggle too and so do many others esp those with anxiety.

im jsut wondering does your gp have a website where you can book an online appointment, i know mine does and its increasingly becoming popular so maybe your has that too?

do you want to check for me and we can go from there?

Builder

No online option just calling or going in
//caught in fire, watch me burn gonna live my life, mark these words cause I'm home//
Star contributor

ok  so what i suggest @j95 is to give them a ring to tomorrow, dont stall on it otherwise youll make yourself panic more ok?

so what id like you to do is write a list of what youd like to say to the receptionist- write it word for word if you have to...

so an example is and you can use it if you like is.

Dial the number

when they answer and say this is such and such from your drs surgery how may i help you

you say hi id like to make an appointment to see (your gps name)

then they often say hold on one sec just while i look it up then they will give you a date and time

and you say yes or no thank you,

if its yes they will ask your name etc- give it to  them

then usually they will say ok thats all booked in for you see you then, and you say thank you and hang up

if you say no just arrange another time that suits you and they will do that for you.

take a few deep breaths before you ring and say to yourself out loud "i can do this" say it a few times if you like.

then once youve made the call take another few deep breaths and then do something to reward yourself- go for an ice-cream coffee or watch your favourite movie

Builder

Ok I can try my best @scared01 I have to find time to do this while working tomorrow if I go
Star contributor

write it out tonight and take it to work with you tomorrow and during one of your breaks give them a ring, just remeber they arent judging you they deal with nervous callers all the time, probably more than you realise so dont feel bad.

@j95 just breathe, call, breathe ok.

Builder

I'm already worried about it
I'm so sorry I'm being so annoying
Star contributor

no not at all

@Bree-RO do you have any ideas?

Just breathe. inhale......Exhale..........inhale............exhale............

Star contributor

@j95

how are you going today?

if it makes you feel any better i had to call my Gp today too and was nervous but i did it and you can too Heart

Top High Fived Authors