Casual scribe

Injections

I am currently in that horrible year when you get all your injections. i am extremely nervous as last time i got my injections, i fainted. It was a horrible experience, and so you can imagine that every injection now, is very traumatising.

i may be getting them done tommorow, so some advice ASAP would be appreciated.

Thanks in advace!

P.S the last time i got injections, it took 2 and a half hours to get them done because i got so worked up with panic attacks and anxiety.

Super star contributor

Re: Injections

Ooh @eish_223-scouts, I used to be terrified of injections, so I feel your pain. Smiley Sad Maybe you could try to do some breathing exercises or listen to some soothing music to help you calm down beforehand the injections? I find that having something, a little toy or a keychain or something, to fiddle with while I get the injection helps me a lot.

Are you able to request any anaesthetic or anything from the nurse when you get them done? 

Wishing you all the luck! 

Mod

Hey @eish_223-scouts, how'd you go today? Did you try any of @DruidChild's suggestions?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ray, when you're on the Titanic, you load the lifeboats. You don't stop to yell at the iceberg.
Mod

[ Edited ]

@eish_223-scouts that must have been really hard for you Smiley Sad did you end up getting it done this week?

Builder

@eish_223-scouts I'm so sorry I'm late in replying to this - have you gotten your injections done?

I'm the same, I'm so terrified of them but like... not in my head. I KNOW theyre good and I need them but my body disobeys and always screams and jumps and runs. Not good. 

What helps me is being against a wall so I physically can't run away. Lying down is also good. I try to get the person to bring in other people to hold me down if there's no wall. I look at the ceiling and I kind of.... disassociate from my arm. Like the rest of my body can move and twitch, usually I scream and cry, but as long as the arm doesn't move, it's all good. 

If you're getting them done in school this is probably terrible advice. But because the nurses didn't know how to deal with panic attacks, and because I was young I didn't know how to deal with them either, I didn't get my injections. I had to go to the doctor. I regret this because the cervical cancer vaccine is like $500 and I still haven't gotten it. 

Also - did you know that injection and blood phobias, with fainting, can be inherited? 

Casual scribe

Hi everyone, thanks for the advice, it really helped! the only things i have to worry about now, are; 1 getting more in 2 months and 2. the massive bruise on my arm!

thanks again!

Super star contributor

I'm glad they're over now @eish_223-scouts! Well done for getting them done Smiley Happy You made it through these ones, so I'm sure you can make it through the next lot. I hope the bruise doesn't hurt too much - usually bruises from vaccinations fade fairly quickly, luckily. 

Mod

@eish_223-scouts yay glad to hear you got through it Smiley Happy were there any strategies that helped you? I have developed a bit of a fear of blood tests in the past year or so
Builder

So glad to hear you got through it @eish_223-scouts
Needles can be super hectic for a lot of people.. you're not alone. People can react in different ways.

I don't know if you answered, but did you learn anything that might help for the next time? Was there anything you were thinking/feeling/doing to keep yourself calm enough at the time?
Whether you think you can or think you can’t, either way you are right.
– Henry Ford
Builder

The bruise thing reminds me, in my primary school after the school injections we had a game that was like tag called Meningecoccal C where you were tagged by being punched in the injection arm, and instead of changing who was in, it spread like a disease

Did anyone else have that? thinking back, it was a bit morbid

Top High Fived Authors
User High Fives Count