Mod

Re: LADIES AND HEALTH PROFESSIONALS PLEASE OVER 18- NEED ABIT OF ADVICE

You can stop the test at any time @scared01.

I only had my first test done 2 years ago. I don't want to freak you out or anything, just make sure you have some self-care planned for afterwards. 

From my experience, they tell you exactly what they are doing and I found the scariest part being when they released the speculum because of the loud noise it makes, but that is literally right at the end of the test.

My next test is after the new one is implemented and my GP said that as far as they knew, I would still be able to get it every 2 years if that put me more at ease than waiting for every 5.

@SmileMonkey, now you have me wondering if there is a sexual health clinic near me. Hmm. I would definitely be better set up than my GP's office.

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ
Super frequent scribe

thanks @stonepixie

im planning on making an appointment before hand just to get a heap of questions out of the way casue if i ask them on the day ill freak out more and wont get it done

Mod

That sounds like a great idea @scared01! Let us know how it goes! :-)

Community Manager

I completely agree with @JanaG you've got a great plan happening @scared01

It's amazing how much better we can make things for ourselves by thinking about what we need ahead of time. Your decision to book an appointment for just questions is a fabulous one. Even the very great medical centres have time restrictions regarding appointments and they are not always great at communicating that. (It took me a while to work out that the doctors I see have 15 minute appointments so if you need more you book several in a row)

You asked earlier about sedation. Talk to the doctor / nurse. It is used sometimes for women who have extreme anxiety about these types of tests. You might find that talking about and understanding the process is enough. But if it's not, talk to them about options. If taking half a muscle relaxant prescribed by the doctor is going to allow you to go through with it, then that is way better than not getting them at all.

Again, congrats on asking about this @scared01 we don't talk about this stuff enough and it's something that affects half the community  Cat LOL 

Highlighted
Super frequent scribe

hi @Ngaio-RO@JanaG

thank you both for your reply

i was suppose to speak to my psych about how to control my anxiety around these sort of exams. but ive booked in for the 1st of may to talk about it and then ill organise the actual exam. when i get the actual exam ill eb asking for a double appointment as i know hwo nervous im going to be and dont think its as easy as a 5 minute job

Super frequent scribe

ok guys  @Ngaio-RO@JanaG@stonepixie@ivory@mousecatcher

so recently i found a breast lump

im hoping some people have had some positive experiences or experiences at all they would be comfortable in sharing with me.

i ahd to monitor it for 2 weeks which i ahve done and it expanded and now its sore and itchy

and now i ahve to sue steroid cream for a few days until i see her again on monday

ive also been brave and ive book an appointment with the womens health nurse to have a chant about a pelvic exam

Top High Fived Authors