Contributor

LADIES AND HEALTH PROFESSIONALS PLEASE OVER 18- NEED ABIT OF ADVICE

hi everyone so this is embarassing to ask but i dont have anyone else to ask

i have three questions

1. for those that are on medications im wondering does it affect your homones? good or bad? and also you cycle? good or bad?

im on antipsychotics and antidepressents but i happy to hear from any one

2. im having trouble controlling my acne despite using clearasil twice a day and also clearsil ahve invented leave on wipes so i sue those twice a day as well but it still seems to hang aroud esp during my cycle... also what do you use for cramping and aches and pains?

3. also pap smears- ive been told so many different stores - no im not comfortable talking to my gp.

ive heard many stories one being the usual you need them every 2 years after you first start activity. but ive also heard you shoudl get them until your 21... then ive heard stories that you should start at 20 even if youve never been active at all.

what is your experince with these if your comfortable talking about it?

Community Manager

Re: LADIES AND HEALTH PROFESSIONALS PLEASE OVER 18- NEED ABIT OF ADVICE

[ Edited ]

Hey, @scared01 It's great to see you tackling the 'difficult to talk about' stuff. I'm a big believer in the adage "if you don't ask, how are you going to know". 

Regarding question number three. Everything I've read says you don't need to start getting pap smears until 21 years old. It used to be 30 but they changed it. You don't need to start earlier if you're sexually active, but you DO need to start at 21 if you haven't had sex yet. It's every 2 years but then at 30, if you have no history in the family and you've had 3 clear tests then it can drop to every 3 years.

Although I would like to add that once a young person becomes sexually active, which is any type of sexual activity not just penetrative sex, then they should start getting regular check-ups at their local sexual health clinic. Pap smears are only about testing for Cervical Cancer. All other STIs need to be checked for irrespective of age.

Hope that helps. 

Mod

@scared01 @Ngaio-RO

The guidelines for pap smears are actually in the process of changing. There's been a shitload of research conducted and now the recommendation is to have one every 5 years, starting from age 25. This applies regardless of whether or not you've had the HPV vaccination.

(The nursing student in me just had to chime in Smiley Tongue but yeah testing for STIs is definitely still recommended regardless of how old you are)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ray, when you're on the Titanic, you load the lifeboats. You don't stop to yell at the iceberg.
Community Manager

Thank you @lokifish This is exactly why I love it when people like @scared01 ask these questions because now BOTH of us have up to date knowledge.

Thank you so much!! Do you know if the new parameters for every 5 years are for women who have a history of cervical cancer, irregular cells etc?

Contributor

@Ngaio-RO 

i was sexually abused a few years ago and dont know whether to go and get some sort of test done. but im too scared to say anything

@lokifish so from the age of 25 you should get pap smears even if youve never been active?

Mod

@Ngaio-RO All good - it's definitely confusing to figure out what to do! If they find abnormal cells they can now do further tests in the lab, which saves having to get a second pap smear. And the 5 yearly testing applies to women who've had a negative result - if they detect any abnormalities I assume you'd need more regular screening in the future, but that's something to discuss with a GP Smiley Happy If you have a strong family history of cervical cancer it's also probably good to get specific medical advice.

Also if you're under 25 and have any symptoms of cervical cancer (like bleeding or pain) you can still have a pap smear to figure out what's going on. But if you're asymptomatic then there's generally no need to worry Smiley Happy

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ray, when you're on the Titanic, you load the lifeboats. You don't stop to yell at the iceberg.
Contributor

i lost my nan 2 years ago to cervical cancer @lokifish but other than that no one else has had it.

i dont have any symptoms or anything it was jsut a generalised question Smiley Happy

Mod

I started getting Pap smears done from the age of 18 and my next smear will be the new test. They can be a little bit uncomfortable but are very quick. I don't see my GP for the pap smear, but actually see the womens clinic at my local hospital which I find far more comfortable to go to. Hope this helps. I also have found going to my local sexual health clinic to be a much more comfortable way to be tested for STD's, etc. They have been much more knowledgeable and have made me feel more comfortable given that this is what they do everyday Smiley Happy

Acne is pretty common around your cycle, as the hormones are changing. Some products just don't work on our skintype whilst they work on others. I always had a love for Forumla 10.0.6 when I was a teen, was the only acne cream that worked on my skin. But, as I said it will be a bit of a trial and error until you find the right skin care products for your skin.

Re: LADIES AND HEALTH PROFESSIONALS PLEASE OVER 18- NEED ABIT OF ADVICEtha

thank you for sharing @SmileMonkey

its apain in the backside trying to figure it out isnt it.

i only ask really becasue i was sexually abused and havent done any tests or anything

Top High Fived Authors
User High Fives Count