Super frequent scribe

Re: LADIES AND HEALTH PROFESSIONALS PLEASE OVER 18- NEED ABIT OF ADVICE

is there any questions that i can/should ask? @SmileMonkey

Mod

Just be open and upfront about it being your first time. It is a very quick process and once it's done you won't have to have another for 2 to 5 years.

its scaring the crap out of me!!!! @SmileMonkey its such a big trigger. do you think they could sedate me lol

Mod

Unfortunately they wouldn't be able to, but just be honest that this concerns you and makes you feel worried. My pap smears last all of 1 minute, the longest part of the process is just the questions they ask like do you smoke, drink etc. I find seeing a nurse at my local women's clinic makes me feel the most comfortable for my pap smears than my gp.

yeah i was speaking to a womens health nurse today about it and ill be getting her to do it for me

im just soo scared and she knows it too ive already told her and the reason behond that but they want to do other testing as well while they are there..

is there anything you find that you do before you go in......

Mod

To be honest, I actually get a bit excited to go as my I love my womens health nurse and I only get to see her twice a year. But I remember being 18 and freaking out about it before my first one. I just took some deep breaths, and reminded myself it will be over in only a few minutes. I do the same thing to psych myself up for a blood test, it will only be a few minutes and its done and I wont need to worry.

It's so great you have been talking with the nurse and she is aware you are scared about it all. That way she can take good care of you.

Hey I hope your skin is feeling better with the cream and wish you best of luck with your appointments

Super frequent scribe

thanks @mousecatcher @SmileMonkey

im so full of questions about it. i dont know whether to book an appointment just for questions

Builder

Well done on telling your nurse about your SA @scared01, that can be so difficult. Hopefully she'll talk you through the process and make you feel at ease. I think if you called them up and said you have lots of questions, they can either answer them over the phone otherwise they might book an appointment, im not sure. you can always ask!

As for funny stories, the best ive got is at my last pap smear, she had to keep readjusting the speculum because she couldnt actually see inside. I started telling jokes about ghost cervixes but she didnt think i was as funny as I thought I was. 

honestly theyre more awkward than anything. but theyre very quick, and I've had three different people do mine and theyve all been very nice and put me at ease. Most GPs and nurses know that people get scared of pap smears, especially youre first one, so I think they try really hard to make sure youre ok and comfy. 

Top High Fived Authors