Builder

Some tips for when you feel overwhelmed?

Hi everyone, 

Sometimes uni overwhelms me. I look at my study schedule and all the tests and assessments coming up and the pressure to do well really gets to me. 

I was wondering if anyone has any good tips on how to control this feeling more effectively?

It feels great to have a platform where I can talk about these things! 

Mod Squad

Re: Some tips for when you feel overwhelmed?

@missep great thread well done for this! Super helpful to a bunch of the RO crew - thank you.

Hmm, for me one of the key components is delegating maybe an hour a week in order to map out the study schedule for the next seven days. Look at the end goal in the unit guide, divide the amount of weeks and then hours needed to feel confident with the work I produce. Essentially start at the end, work backward and develop the schedule from there Smiley Happy

What about yourself?

Builder

Great thread and the perfecting timing for it!

I make a list about what I can do to get started. This is really about breaking down a bigger task into smaller goals that are very achievable. When I tick something off my list, I feel accomplished and I feel motivated to keep going.. ☺ I might focus on what is due first or what needs most of my attention..
Do you think this could be useful for you?
Whether you think you can or think you can’t, either way you are right.
– Henry Ford
Mod

[ Edited ]

For me @missep, if I'm at uni and things are coming overwhelming I stop. An example, yesterday in our tutorial group we were all supposed to be setting up this portfolio (if anyone tells you that mahara is good, ignore them and run away) but it was too much so I didn't do it. (I probably should of left the room, but small steps Smiley Tongue)

I also have a secret weapon that helps me control things. His name is Coo (like Roo from Winnie the Pooh except he's a cat, so it's C (for cat) oo Smiley Happy)

photogenic coo.JPG(sorry he's sideways Smiley Tongue)

I sneak him to uni and he stays with me and helps me feel more relaxed and less stressed. I've actually taken to just leaving him out there on the desk (stuff people who judge, they don't say anything to me so I don't care)

When actually studying... hm I haven't studied much to have any effective strategies other than stepping away and leaving it for awhile. 

Contributor

hi @missep 

RO is a great place to get help. Well done for coming online Smiley Happy

One suggestion that i can give you is to remember to ask for help when you need it including from your mentors and teachers for your subjects. they are there to help you so dont be afriaf to approach them if your struggling with something ok?

remember to not overload yourself and still do the thigns you like. our brains do need a rest from study as well. it helps you clear your head and take a breather from reading and writing. so keep that in mind even if its jsut go for a half an hour walk or something.

maybe you could make a study group with you and your class mates in each subject and organise maybe a weekly session to discuss the topics and help each other out. this can also make studying fun. you could do quizzes and things together to take some of the stress out of studying

'hope this helps Smiley Happy

Builder

I am in the same boat, this is me the majority of the time when I think about all the study I have to do. 

The major thing that I do, as @Bree-RO already mentioned, is planning. 

I have a diary (TYPO) that has a day to day page, and time slots to put in a schedule. The key to planning is actually using the planner and referring it throughout the day, so that way you can see what is left to do for the day or what needs to be done. This way you are breaking it down into smaller bits and not overwhelmed with a whole week of work, just what needs to be done for the day. 

Of course, if you are feeling very overwhelmed, I think it is time to stop what you are doing and take some time out for yourself. ME TIME, I like to call it. Whether this is listening to music, reading a good book or doing some mindfulness exercises. 

Best of luck with your studies. 

Builder

@Bree-RO Study schedules totally help! I try to make daily and weekly goals and if I don't get everything done, then I tell myself that it's okay and just adjust my schedule accordingly 

@T4ils yes! I love making checklists, I think this will work for me Smiley Happy I feel really accomplished when I can tick things off upon completing them!

@N1ghtW1ng Coo is so cute! It's true I have to learn to step away from things and take a break. It's so important!

@scared01 thank you for the tips! It's so true, I think speaking to others in my course will totally help Smiley Very Happy 

Thanks everyone for your tips! I'm starting to feel a bit better about it all Smiley Happy 

Builder

@jesseka_grace ah yes the life of a uni student Smiley Very Happy!

Love the GIF. 

That's so true! I love the schedule books from TYPO I think it helps to see all the tasks I have to do and I feel better when I can break it up and slowly chip away at tasks without trying to overwhelm myself too much! 

Good luck with your studies too! 

Mod

Great thread!

The only thing I can add that hasn't been said is mindfulness meditation. Sometimes I can be an anxiety-based procrastinator and I used a meditation app called smiling mind to help me focus and keep my thoughts on track. 

Contributor

@JanaG i try to ignore or fight the feelings of anxiety.

ive been told about the smiling mild app and ways to calm down.

recently someone gave me the idea that instead of fighting the feeling, go with it and do something constructive such as scubbing the florrs or cleanign the house.

as i like drawing, someone said draw a place thats special to you or, use your imaginations to create your own and itll give you somethign to work on and also to look at when your feeling down

Top High Fived Authors
User High Fives Count