Mod

Re: Uni Student Support Squad

@Chessca_H anything uni/TAFE/tertirary or whatever it's called related!!! Smiley Very HappySmiley Very HappySmiley Very Happy What do you studying?
Mod

@N1ghtW1ng I'm doing my honours in psychology. In thesis related news I actually managed to get some serious work done on it today, maybe it really will eventually be done Smiley Very Happy

Community Manager

Wow, we're all studying some pretty diverse subjects! I have a bit of FOMO with higher education. Sometimes I think if I won the lotto I'd just become a full time student for the rest of my life and learn all the things!

It's been ages since I last studied. Are there any cool apps that you've found to help with things like referencing?

Mod

@Chessca_H Wow! That's cool. I'm thinking about doing honours in psych somewhere along the road too! Can I ask what a typical day is like?

Community Manager

So I've just discovered one of my classes doesn't even have any lectures. You just do the readings and go to the online discussion board to talk them through and practice designated exercises. Plus the major assignment is due in Week 6. WEEK 6 YOU GUYS! WTF is this nonsense?

Mod

To get into catholic schools with my course, I have to take a religion subject too. And I am seriously reconsidering my choice as it is my most complicated subject. We have WEEKLY readings we have to read about the bible and god and weekly worksheets to be completed and I am going to die because I hate it so much. Please, no one take offense, I've been force fed catholicism and I am sick of it. These 20 page readings are going to be the end of me, if I ever read them! Now I really want to change into the Primary and Early Childhood because it doesn't have that, at least not until awhile later with it spread out in the semesters! PLUS it has creative art subjects!!!!!
Mod

Do you think I could just drop this subject? Oh I don't know! Maybe if I do it this year, I don't have to do it if I change courses because I've done it, since it is the exact same subject in the other course.
Community Manager

@N1ghtW1ng

If i understand correctly, then if you do the subject, and it's the same subject code in the other course then yeah, they won't make you do it again. Or if they do...then you're going to a weird uni.

Also Referencing software that got me through my 2 degrees: Zotero

Also use google scholar (if you don't already). You can get it connect up with the library at your uni and it's journal subscriptions, meaning pretty much crazy stupid ammounts of access to pretty much anything you could possibly need for references.

Oh and last thing that i stole straight from here because it said exactly what i wanted to say much more clearly Smiley Tongue

• If you're new to the subject, it may be helpful to pick up the terminology from secondary sources. E.g., a Wikipedia article for "overweight" might suggest a Scholar search for "pediatric hyperalimentation".

• If the search results are too specific for your needs, check out what they're citing in their "References" sections. Referenced works are often more general in nature.

• Similarly, if the search results are too basic for you, click "Cited by" to see newer papers that referenced them. These newer papers will often be more specific.

• Explore! There's rarely a single answer to a research question. Click "Related articles" or "Cited by" to see closely related work, or search for author's name and see what else they have written.

Mod

Omg Me too @ElleBelle i want to be a lifetime student, but I think you can be if you just have the intention Smiley Happy I just started my masters in public health, i'm doing a mental health subject atm which is SUPER interesting.

@N1ghtW1ng I use endnote for referencing and it has changed my life! haha Most courses have a convenor or a coordinator you can talk to about subjects etc maybe explain to them your dilemma? Also they could confirm whether you need to do a few subjects or just the one and get it over with!

Builder

@N1ghtW1ng when I start my current apprenticeship I found that I had done a couple of the subjects in my previous one, even though I didn't finish the whole course and i didn't have to redo anything I had already done. I know that down here some course codes have changed and may be slightly different but you can get still get recognition of prior learning for what you have done and a modified assessment of the unit if only a tiny bit different.
Top High Fived Authors
User High Fives Count