Builder

Re: Uni Student Support Squad

Just passed one of my units at TAFE, AHCLSC304A Erect Timber Structures and Features, so put it simply, I can officially build stuff, like actual thing things like pergolas!! How cool is that!
//caught in fire, watch me burn gonna live my life, mark these words cause I'm home//
Mod

That's awesome @j95! It's always great to having something that says, yes I can actually do this. Smiley Tongue

I can't transfer until the end of the semester and I'm going to talk it over with some people first (if I can figure out who Smiley Tongue) about it too but it is something I'd like to do. I might get lucky and more than one subject overlaps so I get a lucky few breaks where I've already completed that unit Smiley Tongue
Mod

@ElleBelle I've been using a program called Mendeley for referencing since last year and I really like it.

Anyone use any apps to help you study? One that I've found super useful through uni is Flashcardlet, you can use it to make digital flash cards.

Mod

Congrats @j95! That's great news! Smiley Happy

@RevzZ I finished my Honours in psych last year! It was definitely challenging at times, but time management and having a great working relationship with my supervisor helped heaps. I ended up learning so much (especially about myself)! Smiley Happy

As for what a typical day is like, it can depend a little bit on what your thesis topic is and what stage of it you are up to throughout the year. At my uni, we had all of the lectures for the week on one day, and then the rest of the week was left up to us to structure our time to complete readings, assignments, thesis preparations and exam prep throughout the semester.

I met with my supervisor once a week while we were planning our study, and had free days outside of that for coursework etc (until later in the year when I ran my study and met with participants), but I also had friends who had to be on campus in the laboratories every day for their research.

I hope I didn't overload you with info! It sounds like a lot and it IS a full on, crazy year with quite a few things/deadlines to juggle, but approaching it one step at a time helps a lot, and I found that my lecturers were super helpful and friendly. Smiley Happy

Also this is a great thread @ElleBelle! I'm taking a break this year before postgrad (hopefully) next year, and I never thought I would say this, but I miss uni!

Community Manager

@Chessca_H cool apps! I really like a thing called pomodoro. It helps me focus and continue to focus for hours on end, rather than burning through all my mental energy in like an hour after procrastinating for an hour Smiley Tongue

There's lots of apps that let you do it, but all you really need is a kitchen timer and then to follow these steps:

1. Remove all distractions (email, phone, unnecessary browser tabs, manage colleague interruptions).
  2. Choose a focus task.
  3. Set the timer to 25 minutes.
  4. Work on the task until the timer rings.
  5. Take a 5 minute break.
  6. Every 4 sessions take a longer break, perhaps 15 or 20 minutes.
Mod

Almost finished my first week of uni and this theology unit is going to be the end of me. Smiley Tongue
Mod

Urgh! I'm doing those modified assessments right now, @j95. But all that has changed is a couple of words and the learning objectives were condensed down to 4 instead of 7. It is redonkulous! Then one of the courses doesn't transfer over at all!

I used endnote for all my referencing needs. Smiley Happy My uni had a license for it that enabled all students to use it on their personal devices.

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ
Super frequent scribe

Wow, congrats on almost being at the end of  your first week @N1ghtW1ng!! Smiley Happy Theology does sound like a really hard unit to tackle. (And thanks for your support in the tough times thread Smiley Happy )

Star contributor

Omg I don't even understand referencing – there are apps for this?! I am totally unprepared Smiley Sad

Mod

My uni has given us a ton of info on referencing and a bunch of info sheets too on different types. I have to use two different referencing systems for my classes! The silly theology unit uses a "special" type. Smiley Sad
Top High Fived Authors