Community Manager

Re: Uni Student Support Squad

Yep, thats definitely one of the most brutal things about uni @SpiderGirl18! Are you using any time management techniques to get through it?

Mod

@SpiderGirl18 What kind of teaching? You've made it through two years so you can do this!
What do you do to cope with the workload?
Mod

Does anyone have any study tips? I'm desperate. @ElleBelle? @khaleesi_18? Anyone? I'm onto my third week and have spent a total of not even a measurable amount of time studying. If anyone has any tips for a heavy procrastinator studying at uni. I'd love 'em! Smiley Tongue
Super frequent scribe

@N1ghtW1ng here are some random things that I try to keep in mind for when i study I hope you can find something to help you!
- Do the hardest thing first, once its out of the way the rest seems like a breeze and you get a huge boost because you did the one that was most challenging for you.

- Break it down into smaller more manageble bits, so like first pick a topic, find revelant articles, read and summarise them, then plan the structure of your essay etc.

- Set up a rewards system (even if they are little rewards) it will help drive you through doing it
- Pick a dedicated time to do the uni work, (perferably when you are usually the most alert) let others know not to bother you, get off social media at that time and just go all out on doing the assignment/task/study - thing

- Visable reminders (This one helps me a lot!) So post it notes, write it in a diary or on a calander, anywhere to remind you that you have to do the thing. it will get you thinking about it and hopefully make you more willing to do it because you know its coming up (rather then out of sight out of mind)

- set some goals! I use the S.M.A.R.T goal setting (specific, measurable, achievable,realistic and timely goals) to help me out, and even more helpful when written down (for me)
- Find a 'study spot' Like i cant study on the couch or anywhere that doesnt have a desk, I find coffee shops are the best place for me because there is a low level sound but nothing i'm particually interested in. For some, in their room with music or complete silence works better. its all about finding what works for you.

- positive self talk! dont say 'I wish I had spent more time doing it,' I say 'I will find more time to do it!' being negative and beating yourself up wont help, you have to remind yourself you can do it!

Overall, persistance and patience is the key, just little steps to move towards the end of it, as long as you keep trying you will get there Smiley Happy 

Builder

@N1ghtW1ng I set a timer on my phone, it doesn't have to be long, I set it for around 15 minutes to start with . When the timer runs out I can check any social media, got outside, grab something to eat whatever, but not for long, but if I become distracted within that 15 minutes the timer has to start again. When i've reached 15 minutes of continuous work, I take my break and then I set the timer to 20 minutes then after I've done 20 minutes of work I take a break, then up to 25 then a break. Once I'm up to 25 that's what I stays at and I continue to work till the timer is up, take a break, 25 minutes again, until I'm done
//caught in fire, watch me burn gonna live my life, mark these words cause I'm home//
Builder

I also use this app on my laptop called Self Control, where you block any sites you want to on your internet browser for as long as you want and you cannot access them until the timer you set runs out, not even restarting it works. it's Mac but I'm pretty sure there is an alternative out there for Windows.
//caught in fire, watch me burn gonna live my life, mark these words cause I'm home//
Builder

Also I'm hoping to completely change my study around in the next few months so eeeek good luck to me
Mod

Good luck to the both of us @j95! Thanks for the tips too. If I can find it, I might give the app a go but knowing lazy old me, I'd probably just try to use my own self control. I have actually sat doing nothing rather than study because I could stop myself from doing something else but wouldn't study. Smiley Tongue I'm a strange one.

Thanks for the suggestions @Flit! What times of alertness work for you? I'm usually always a bit tired, so I don't know if I could find a specific time. I think just going in and doing it will get me more used to it, as it's not something I've done very much of., so it's not something I'm used to which means it's "new" and/or "change" which I actively try to avoid.
Super frequent scribe

@N1ghtW1ng I am very much a 'morning' person (well, whenever I wake up) When it hits evening I can't focus long enough to do anything useful when it comes to study. 
having a routine might be helpful 

Little steps towards change help me! Like if my class is in a new room I go there a few days before so I know where it is so Im not freaking out on the day. 

Builder

@N1ghtW1ng I procrastinated a lot last year. And the one thing that really helped was identifying WHY I was procrastinating. Why am I choosing to not work on this assignment? And then finding a solution to that issue. 

Most of the time, I procrastinated because I didn't want to do it or it was just difficult to do. When I felt this way, I found it helpful to break that big task (e.g., start on this essay') into mini do-able steps (e.g., 'identify key words from essay question). Similar to what @Flit was saying about creating SMART goals.

Hope that helps @N1ghtW1ng

++

@khaleesi_18 You and me are in the same boat. I just finished my Honours in psych and taking a break too. This year it felt weird to not buy things for the upcoming semester just because I am no longer a student. Smiley Tongue

Top High Fived Authors
User High Fives Count