Mod

Re: Uni Student Support Squad

@N1ghtW1ng ooh @Flit beat me to it with such a comprehensive list of awesome suggestions! I've personally used many of those strategies Smiley Happy

Developing a weekly schedule helped me to stay on track and made sure that I had enough time for study, breaks and rewards. Taking regular breaks to do something for yourself is also a great form of self care (even if it's just something like going away from your desk to make a cup of tea, or going for a short walk around campus).

I found that S.M.A.R.T. goals were super helpful for me, too. Sometimes it can feel like you have an overwhelming amount of work to do, which makes sitting down and starting to work feel almost impossible. Like @ryvb3 mentioned, setting small goals can help to break down what you need to do right now in this session. Breaking down a big task into a series of small steps can help in feeling like you are accomplishing things as you go!

Another thing to remember is that (like with any new skill or behaviour change) it's totally okay to have setbacks and times where you procrastinate a little bit more than you would like. The more we practice and get into the routine of studying, the easier it will seem Smiley Happy also, sometimes it may take a bit of trial and error to find the strategies that work the best for you.

Universities quite often have resources and services to help students adjusting to study - you are definitely not alone in procrastinating! Is there a service that you could go to or someone that you could speak to for study tips/assignment help?

How is week 3 going for you so far?

Mod

@ryvb3 congratulations on finishing your Honours! I can definitely relate to feeling weird about not being a student anymore - especially seeing info about upcoming O-Week activities on Facebook! I actually went into uni today to meet with my supervisor and then have coffee with a friend on her break - it felt like I should have gone to the library afterwards to study Smiley Tongue

Mod

@j95 that sounds exciting! Do you mean you'll be starting a new course, or trying out some new study techniques?

Builder

@khaleesi_18 I think I want a try a new course and completely different path,I really like my current job but I feel like it might be time to leave construction and do something different, but I'm still thinking about it.
//caught in fire, watch me burn gonna live my life, mark these words cause I'm home//
Mod

@ryvb3 thanks. Why I procrastinate I guess would be because I don't want to do the assignment. But breaking down the assignment into lovely little pieces should help. I guess I just need to start and keep going.

@khaleesi_18 I do have a weekly planner, which has my tutorials, lectures and ju jitsu/self defense commitment and I put one studying time there (which I think I'm just going to drop altogether) but finding the time at regular weekly times is difficult because that requires doing the same thing at the same time every week is kind of difficult, because it requires commitment to that time. Does that make any sense?
My third week is going well Smiley Happy Although I think, no, I know that I am going to drop my theology unit, if it doesn't affect wanting to transfer courses, because I just can't do it. It's so heavily religious, I can't handle it.

@j95 could you stay in your job, but try a new course part time while you work? Then fully go into it and change paths? Of course, it's completely up to you! I think it's awesome what you're doing, it sounds exciting. Smiley Happy
Builder

Unfortnately that isn't possible @N1ghtW1ng it's a good idea but my apprenticeship also has a TAFE component, so I'm already studying and working extremely busy weeks.
//caught in fire, watch me burn gonna live my life, mark these words cause I'm home//
Builder

It's so hard because I like what I'm doing, but I like the idea of trying some other things that interest me. The only problem with leaving my apprenticeship to take up other study is that I won't have a job, I might be in a course I like but I also need to find a job. This is complex
Community Manager

How much longer have you got on your apprenticeship? @j95

Builder

i just started my second year late last year, so I won't be finished till the end of next year, so close to two years left @Ben-RO
Builder

4 years is such a long time to make a commitment to,as much as i love it I sort of thought this would happen
Top High Fived Authors