Super frequent scribe

Were you the person you want to be today (even just a little?)

I'm trying to "journal" regularly as it seems to have a similar effect as meditation in that it clears all the junk of out my too busy head! (As someone once said "the mind is for having thoughts, not holding them.)

My friend gave me a list of ideas for journalling to kick start things. One was:

"Today - were you the person you want to be?"

I found it a really interesting one to write about. Inevitably a lot of our day - no. And some days more than others. But sometimes finding that little thing that you enjoyed, that was part of who you are trying to be, well.. that can feel good. It could be a conversation with a friend, a walk, some self care or self improvement.

For me - I had some well deserved morning off work (and didn't feel guilty for not checking my emails for hours). I played - and really paid attention - to my kids without thinking about other things. I went for a walk. And I didn't spend too much money as I'm trying to save!

Would love to hear what parts of your day made you feel happy, or proud, or like who are working on being!

Star contributor

Re: Were you the person you want to be today (even just a little?)

Ooh I like this idea! I was at work this weekend on the island. I was down at the wharf waving to the group that were leaving for the afternoon and once their boat was gone I ran up the wharf and flipped into the water. It was nice and spontaneous and felt much more like myself after working hard/crazy hours all weekend and being stressed about uni.

Contributor

Great idea for a thread Ally. 

I am glad to say I think I was the person I wanted to be today. I spend the day doing loads of very physical jobs around the house, and just enjoying it. I have a bit of tendency to always be thinking I should be doing something else, or that what I am doing is not productive enough - but today I just got on and did 'stuff' and felt a great sense of achievement for all my 'stuff' being done by the time the sun went down. 

What about everyone else? C'mon, this is a great topic - would love to hear what everyone else has to say.

Mod

I think I actually kind of already do this. I have a piece of paper that sits on my wall next to my bed, and every morning when I wake up it's generally the first thing I see. It describes the person I want to be, and the things I can do/be throughout the day that will help me be more like that person (for example as I value compassion I have on it a promise to myself about doing things throughout the day that will help others and so on) I hope that makes sense, I got the idea from a book I read Smiley Happy

As for today, I think I was mostly the person I want to be. I did a lot of self-care stuff - going for a walk this morning, being mindful, spending time with my sister and watching DVDs. Smiley Happy

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ray, when you're on the Titanic, you load the lifeboats. You don't stop to yell at the iceberg.
Star contributor

I was BETTER than the person I wanted to be today. Really pleased with having delivered a training course and receiving much positive feedback. I'm so proud of myself Smiley Very Happy

I wish I could have more days like this, but most are about just getting things done and I don't often feel as though I'm adding as much value or being as valued.
Super star contributor

[ Edited ]

I was the person I wanted to be today Smiley Very Happy. A little bit anyway.

I volunteered on a stall to promote my program at uni and talked to lots of other students from other years, as well as randoms who came over to our stall. I'm can be pretty shy at times and not very confident in myself but I would like to be more confident, sociable and relaxed with others (for both personal and professional growth) so I thought that was pretty awesome! It was a really fun day Smiley Happy

EDIT - @lokifish: I love the idea of having a piece a paper where you write down the person that you want to be and the things you can do to help you be more like that person, that's really cool! I may have to steal it Smiley Happy

Super frequent scribe

Great responses! And I love your idea too @lokifish. Seems like it is already helping you do this.. wish I'd started this years ago Smiley Happy Sometimes I'm too busy hunting down goals!

Talking about values like compassion I heard something great the other day.. the person (a MH nurse) was saying we should have values that can't be taken away from us. She was talking about how people often get depressed in life when they are older because they're no longer pretty, or rich, or the provider for their family.. all these things which can get taken from us eventually. But she said if what's important to you are values like compassion, you can feel satisfied later in life. Anyway a bit of a diversion but it was an interesting and lovely discussion.

Today I was mildly who I wanted to be! I took some time and lay on the grass in the sun and enjoyed reflecting on a busy week of achievements. I rung Mum and had a chat (which is apparently good for your serotonin levels!). I was probably a bit too busy though and could do with some meditation...
Mod

I love this idea/question!

I can quite happily say that today I turned the day around and was a bit like the person I want to be, epecially towards the end when everyone else went to sleep and I focused my mind into mostly creative energy, getting a lot done and enjoying it.

Post Mod

In this moment of time, no

In the future, who knows. Hopefully. 

But what were some good parts of my day included showing a new student around campus, eating a burrito, tried new coffee, gave up my seat twice on the train for strangers, didn't fall asleep in one of my lectures and found some excellent reads!

I had a really awful panic attack earlier and came really close to attempting suicide again, but instead I texted my mum and splashed some cold water on my face, so I guess trying those other strategies means I'm getting closer to who I want to be (someone who can regulate their emotions better)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ray, when you're on the Titanic, you load the lifeboats. You don't stop to yell at the iceberg.
Top High Fived Authors
User High Fives Count