Casual scribe

how many australians don't talk about their mental illness?

hello, i'm doing research on mental illness in australia, and i'm wondering if anyone could tell me roughly the percentage of / how many (preferably young) australians don't tell anyone about their mental illnesses? it's okay if no one can give me an answer, but thanks anyway Smiley Happy 

Rookie

Re: how many australians don't talk about their mental illness?

Hi, I don't know the answer to the question 'how many young people don't tell anyone about their mental illness' but in 2007 the Australian Bureau of Statistics conducted a survey that asked people who had mental disorder whether they had accessed a mental health service and only 23% of young people aged 16 -24 said they had. This means that 77% hadn't accessed a mental health service. Hope this helps. lorri-RO
Rookie scribe

Nice data. Can I have the reference live if any of website etc about this figure?

Highlighted
Builder

Hi @theactivewalrus!

Althought I don't have the statistics, I just wanted to say that I think it's great that you're researching this!

It's a huge issue at the moment where there are so many people who are hesitant to seek help and it's good to see who the target populations are in order to help them more efficiently! 

I'm very passionate about this as I study about it quite often in my psychology postgrad course! 

Top High Fived Authors
User High Fives Count