Builder

[Planning] Special Discussion - Bullying

@Ben-RO I wasn't sure if this was the right section, but I didn't think it should go in Special Discussions section yet because we're still working on it. 

This Friday, 18th of March is the sixth National Day of Action against bullying and violence and we're having special discussion about it here on the forums. Some more information is on this link:

http://www.bullyingnoway.gov.au/national-day/ 

I'd really like some input and suggestions for what we can ask during chat, or other things worth sharing. 

It would be interesting to hear what people think the statistics are around bullying, because it actually happens a lot more often than it seems and isn't confined to just schools, with technology dominating our lives so much, bullying can be hard to get away from, so I'll make one of the questions about that. 

//caught in fire, watch me burn gonna live my life, mark these words cause I'm home//
Community Manager

Re: [Planning] Special Discussion - Bullying

@j95 this is the perfect spot! For now...

I am working on making a special space for people like you who have a heap of experience and also are pretty boss at sharing that and the things you have learned from those experiences. Till then, feedback and Suggestions is pretty sweet.

I like the direction you're heading a lot.

I think there's two kind of areas we need to explore:

Definitions:

Types of bullying, statistics etc.

A little bit of behavioural psychology maybe - What's going on in a bully's head that makes them act that way?

Why does bullying exist? How come some people think it's okay to be shit?

Solutions to bullying:

How to stop being bullied

How to stop bullying

How to stop being a bully?

What can we do to change culture and society?

Where can we go to get backup and support?

I feel like maybe that's not everything, so feel free to add or subtract what you think and change the whole thing up if you want to too! Also @ in other people who are keen to help out! I shall monitor this thread and jump in to help wherever you need me to Smiley Happy 

Builder

Ok that's great @Ben-RO That's the direction I needed cause I had no idea where to start.
So I'm assuming the chat will be starting on Friday? (Tomorrow) cause I'll start thinking of what to say in the thread.
I'll start making some questions and I'll post them here Smiley Happy
//caught in fire, watch me burn gonna live my life, mark these words cause I'm home//
Mod

You could look from the point of view of a bystander watching someone being bullied. Should they intervene? Do nothing? Why would they do either, what is their motivation?

Then why do people bully? But that's an obvious question.

And the victims. Why are they being bullied? Sometimes, the person bullying them could have been hurt by them, and are getting old-fashioned 'revenge'. Kind of giving them a 'taste of their own medicine' and when it's that kind of bullying, a revenge story, then it kind of goes around in a circle.
Community Manager

[ Edited ]

Yep @j95 we'll kick off tomorrow and just see how the whole thing rolls out over the next few weeks. Are you cool with creating the thread in special discussions? 

@N1ghtW1ng i like that point. Feel free to suggest some questions!

Builder

Yep I'll make the thread tonight!!
Builder

Does anyone have anything to share or add? If not, that's cool too 

Community Manager

I feel like you got dis @j95!  Although I guess the door is always open if anyone thinks of anything else to add!