Casual scribe

advice from mods re subject matter....

hey mods,,,,i have had heaps of experience with voice hearing and other perceptually unique experiences. both lived and in assisting others with info that could really make a difference. one eg for your consideration would be the voice hearers network which i have found extremely valuable and ive also been twice to see peter bullimore and expert with lived experience and one of the most brilliant and motivational speakers about the subject of voice hearing and paranoia.

there is a mine field of confusing info out there which is tough for younger people to handle. then there is all the huge array of confusing meds.

early on id go to organizations and the first thing theyd ask was your diagnosis, it was usually formal like an inquisition and i hated it. anyway,,,,throught my shit i managed to educate myself on most things psychiatric.

would you object if i recommended these to others struggling with more troublesome experiences.

thnks j.r.

Community Manager

Re: advice from mods re subject matter....

Hey @ jolly roger it's so cool that you have so much experience with understanding your voice hearing and the amazing stuff that the hearing voices network has to offer in the way of support.

I encourage you strongly to share what you yourself have learned from engaging with the network, particularly in terms of supporting other people on the forums who might hear voices, but make sure you share it from your experiences and what you have learned from them. Don't do it from the perspective of giving advice to someone else about how someone else might solve a problem-if that kind of makes sense?

Everyone has a right to decide about their own treatment and recovery path, all we can do is hand them the options and support them through their choices.

We're all about peer-support here, so we talk about the support we are getting and what worked and what didn't. We don't do it from the angle of what another person might say about another person's experience, that's getting a bit to close to giving someone a medical or treatment advice which is against the guidelines we have written together.

Perhaps to get that expertise in here, we can get it straight from the source. I am going to add a session with the hearing voices network to the list of infobus topics and will reach out to them about doing a session with us (probs in May). 

Also, I know at least one other member here has enaged with the network in the past and maybe they can talk with you about it a bit more too if they see this and want to Smiley Happy. Hit me up if you have any more questions.

Cheers, 

Ben.

Casual scribe

thanks benro,,,,,i completely understand. the paranoia network that peter bullimore runs is also awesome. psychosis can be a very scary thing but anyone who has come here and has reached out has a chance to get some type of recovery. voice hearers network have some great resources which i have all of. if you cant get them on board for any reason i can copy some of my paperwork to send you. there is also one dvd which was an awesome ; an inspirational journey which took one lady(voice hearer) from the doors of madness and incredible self abuse to a new understanding of her situation and voices,, and finally to an empowerment which was a revelation. if i can find it i will give you the name and you can check it out and perhaps recommend it to those who are really struggling. let me know if you want.

as for me i still get really down and bothered with different  bits and peices but im carrying alot of worries for some unrelated health issues and worries for others close to me.

anyway, theres little i havent been through or expereinced and im still here.

thanks.....

Community Manager

Hey again @ jolly roger Psychosis can definitely be super scary and getting in contact with a strange new system while you're feeling heaps distressed... well i cant imagine how much that has gotta suck at times.

I would love to hear about some of the things that have worked for you. For example here's a bunch of questions!

What would you say to someone who was hearing voices for the first time?

What does a good doctor or other person do to make you feel safe and that you're being helped and supported?

What do you do to get through the tough times?

Where have you come from in your path to recovery and where would you like to get to?

And of course if you have questions or need support from us, we'll always be so keen to share back!

Casual scribe

[ Edited ]

hi benro,,

firstly hearing voices does not necessarily mean psychosis. it doesnt necessarily mean your going mad or loosing touch with reality.  . the reason some people become erratic is because of the fear and confusion it creates. i think thats important to know. what also effects the situation is whether drugs and or alcohol are involved. this eventually worsens the situation, esp alcohol.

did you know anthony hopkins and ghandi were voice hearers....zinedine zidane was a famous soccer player and is now the coach of the worlds richest and i think the biggest soccer club real madrid, another voice hearer.

anyway,

first thing i would do is to let them know that there are safe and that the voices cant hurt them, only ones own actions can harm them...if the voices are annoying or threatening its important to try to support the individual in believing that the voices themselves dont have power, they are only voices, regardless of how much the voices may threaten they cant actually physically hurt you.

let the person whos having voices know there are not alone and that there are people out there who have voices and are living with them and leading productive and average lives.

getting someone to share their experience with others who have lived experiences can really help.

i have found that really young people are reluctant to do this because they are embarrassed, but to those who read this please believe me,,,,,THE EARLIER YOU FACE THIS the greater your chances of gaining insight and relieving the fear and confusion.

please dont hide it and self medicate, it could make it worse and you will just get more scared and confused and could bring on visual hulucination.

regarding good doctors,,,this is so important especially for younger people in their teens because they mostly want to please their parents or their family doctor and usually end up getting ordinary help.

not all doctors are trained for the voices hearing experience.

a gp will generally send you to a psychiatrist on his list of local psychs. at this point its important for the voice hearer or their support people to make contact with mental health organisations, go to meetings and ask questions to others at the meetings to try and get a recommendation for a suitable psychiatrist. i know people who have changed dozens of them till they found someone who they felt comfortable with.

a good psych will make you comfortable, they will talk calmly and normally to you whilst trying to understand whats going on. they will give you time and get to know you. they will ask ordinary questions also not just about your problems. if they make you smile or laugh, thats a good sign....of coarse this also depends on your state of mind.

i feel for you all.....the fact that a vulnerable person is on this site means they have a chance, getting the right support for yourself is sooooooo important. learning about your challenges from the right sources is sooooo important.

ill do more here if anyone is interested next couple of days.

sorry benro,,,im really tired now. i will finish answering your questions soon.

thanks to all on here.

Casual scribe

i should have mentioned some strategies to help in the short term......sorry. i will post again soon..
Casual scribe

things that worked for me to quieten down my head ,,,i find when watching tv if  i  repeat in my head what is said on the tele by the actors or commentators etc,,,this takes up my concentration and all else is shut down.

also doing sums in my head,,like maths....im pretty crap at maths so any simple addition or subtraction or multiplication or division shuts all else out. i guess if your really good at maths you can do more complex stuff.

i do weights,,,but when i do i try to use the correct form of the  movements and focus on getting the moves perfect.

if your really having trouble you can walk backwards,,,i do this round a table or i can go outside.

i also listen to numerous talk back radio stations with ear phones on,,,with the ap tunein you can get like 100s of stations from all round the world. i have different interests and you can always find something your interested in to concentrate on,,,if not theres always comedy. again if my heads running hot i just repeat to myself whats been said on the radio. 

theres heaps of other positive ways to distract yourself.

i found that fighting against my difficulties only made it worse and stressed me out heaps. everything just snowballs and can overwhelm you,,,,,,,

i think its important to accept whats going on with the aim of getting some control over the situation. this can happen with proper support proper advice, time and practice.

i have learnt that the voices are a part of you,,,there are ways and processes which can help you understand them and get some control back.

im never sure how far to go here or if im rambling off the subject.....guess ill stop now....i just wanted to get this bit out.

Star contributor

No, you're not rambling at all @ jolly roger, it's all solid stuff. Thanks for sharing! I especially had no idea about Zidane but the techniques you are using are amazing.

Highlighted
Community Manager

@ jolly roger

This is such amazing advice and support you're giving here! Thank you so much for sharing.

I am wondering if i can move this post out into our wellbeing section of the forums? I think we should be showing off the amazing skills you're sharing here Smiley Happy