Super star contributor

Re: Gender confusion/dysphoria - how do other people deal?

Such a good idea @redhead!! Smiley Happy

Builder

So I've kinda been introducing myself with my new preferred name at uni. I feel empowered by it. I also changed my name on facebook and some people were actually supportive. Some weren't but that doesn't matter and just because my mother rejects me over another part of my life doesn't mean I'm less of a person. I'm me and that's ok. I

Also where's the best place to get a binder, I kinda want one now I'm kinda more out.

Another thing is my voice is driving me insane, it's so squeaky and mumbly. I want to sound androgynous. Stupid fucking vocal cords.

And the gender shit is making my ED worse, or is my ED making more confused about my gender.

I wish this shit was easy.
Super star contributor

That's really great to hear @redhead! I'm glad some people have been supportive of your name Smiley Happy 

I've heard really good things about this company which makes binders, gc2b - https://www.gc2b.co - I don't know of any Australian ones though, unless you decide to bind with sports bras or something similar. 

Ah I get the hating-my-voice thing too, it's horrible, hey? I think there are ways to change or train your voice, I can have a look around for you if you want? 

Builder

Thanks. I'll look up the binder company when I'm out of hospital. For now a tight sports bra has to do.

I used to do a bit of voice training when I was in a choir (higher unfortunately) but I don't know how to retrain it again.
Mod

@redhead There's Many Genders One Voice which is based in QLD. I don't think you're in QLD though, but there is probably one somewhere in your state/area Smiley Happy
Do you think voice training will help you with your voice? I'm not really sure how but I'm sure there are people out there who do know Smiley Happy
Super star contributor

Just want to say that whatever your identity is, society is likely to accept people. For example, at footy training I played on someone who is transgender. Some one called them a her and they did not hesitate to correct and say it's him

Super star contributor

This sounds ridiculous but today I used my old email account (the one that uses my birth name) to send an email to my new email account (the one that uses my chosen name) and when I opened up my emails like an hour later I saw the email and I just went '??? Who tf is that???' before I realised it was me and it made me really happy that my birth name isn't instantly recognisable to me anymore. It reminded me that maybe one day I won't have to hear/see it at all Smiley Very Happy

Highlighted
Mod

Haha @DruidChild that's awesome Smiley Happy One day, it'll just be another name, with nothing to do with you. Smiley Happy
Super star contributor

I can't wait @N1ghtW1ng Smiley Very Happy

Do you need support?

ReachOut NextStep is a tool that can help you find the best support for you.

Open tool in sidebar
Top High Fived Authors