Builder

Going off meds goal9

I talked about this ages ago but I'm looking to go off my medication. Its something I have been wanting to do for a bit. 

So I was just looking for like tips/other people's experiences/advice or something, so it doesn't go as badly as when I tried to take myself of them (don't do that) 

//caught in fire, watch me burn gonna live my life, mark these words cause I'm home//
Community Manager

Re: Going off meds goal9

Wooo! Goal 9 @j95 you're cranking through em! Smiley Happy

I think some of the thoughts i have on this are ones you might have already thought about. So I'll try and think of extra stuff.

First up (and this is really for other people reading this as @j95 knows this stuff) always talk to a doctor about changing or going off medication, there's a bunch of things that happen when you go off medication and it's different for every kind of medication as well as how much you are taking and what else you're taking as well. So just doing it without chatting to a doc about it is kind of risky, like running through a house with your eyes closed and hoping to make it outside without hitting a wall Smiley Tongue If you're worried about what your doctor would say, then that's cool, chat to us about that Smiley Happy

Maybe some things to think about are:

What side-effects you're not happy with? You'll need to know to explain to your doctor.

What the Meds do for you that you might need to make sure you can do without them- so you can work on those things.

What you want to achieve by going off meds, what it means to you.

Builder

There is a heap of side effects that I've experienced that I don't like and simply just changing the medication hasn't really fixed it. Things like feeling sick, a heap of different ones, I'll make a list.
And I just have this thing about what the medication is actually doing to me and what effects it could have in the long run.
I have spent a lot of time working on different things and gaining the skills I need, maybe not with the goal of going off medication but I have learnt a lot and become better acdifferent things that could help me when I no longer the medication @Ben-RO not sure if I'm making sense
//caught in fire, watch me burn gonna live my life, mark these words cause I'm home//
Community Manager

Hmm there are some things you can do to help manage and reduce any long run effects right now too, simple stuff even like drinking lots of water to help your kidneys filter stuff makes a HUGE difference.

Yeah you have definitely been kicking wing with the goals and it's kinda handy how the skills you have and are still working on help reduce the need for meds. Unforseen benefits, woo!

Builder

Yeah that's a good tip @Ben-RO

Also like if things don't work out that's not good but it's worth a try not being on them right? Like I want to see how I go
Community Manager

It's your body, brain and thoughts, and you are the boss of these things, nobody else. So it's your choice and yours alone. 

So it's important to think it all through, understand the risks , plan what to do if things go pear-shaped and get advice from your doc and all that.

We'll do everything we can to support you Smiley Happy

Builder

Thanks @Ben-RO apart from the mishap last year I have been on them for quite a while and I just feel like it's time to do things a bit differently, I don't have to settle for what they tell me to do
Community Manager

Makes sense to me, although take it slow, be prepared and build up your brain strength first! (which i know you're doing all of)

Builder

Yeah we're not having a repeat of this time last year I'm not letting that happen again @Ben-RO this time I'll be prepared
Mod Squad

Sounding very focused @j95 love it.

Do you need support?

ReachOut NextStep is a tool that can help you find the best support for you.

Open tool in sidebar
Top High Fived Authors