Rookie scribe

My brother

[ Edited ]

I honestly don't know what to do about my 11yr old brother. Hes always lying, He's borderline autistic and is tearing my family apart. He is obsessed with his iPad and my mum took it from him at 9:00 bc he was playing on it. it's been two hours and he has screamed, banged on walls, left the house and "ran away" then came back expecting the door to be open. My awesome mum is finding it really hard to cope with and is under a lot of pressure. Sometimes she just snaps and hurts my brother, I usually have to yell at her to stop when he does throw a temper tantrum( which is about once every month) My dad isn't much help though he doesn't know how to comfort people and when mum is upset he doesn't know what to do, I don't know either. Sometimes I cry myself to sleep. I don't know what to do. When I try to help her with my brother she always tells me not to get involved but I'm scared she might snap. I love my mum and my brother so much but I don't know how to help them. I know it's a bad thought but some times I just wish he would dissapear or get sent to a boarding school and never come back.

Mod Squad

Re: My brother

Hey @Nyra monray thanks so much for reaching out and sharing your story.

Sounds like the situation with your brother can take it's toll on your Mum and yourself.. It sounds like you are super stuck with how to support your Mum and how to support your brother as well as give yourself some self care, am I right?

Do you get time in the week to do something fun for yourself at all? I also want to loop you in with Kids Helpline [click here], they have online chat available and are trained to deal with various family challenges. Have you ever checked them out?

Rookie scribe

I play basket ball and thank you for the kids helpline suggestion I will be sure to check it out thank you.
Mod Squad

@Nyra monray you're welcome - let us know how you get on.

Do you follow b ball on tele as well Smiley Happy ?

Builder

Hey @Nyra monray Thanks for jumping on and sharing what's been happening, it takes a lot of guts to do that.

Has your brother been diagnosed with autism? I only ask that question because I know there is lots options available if he has, options that will benefit the whole family because it sounds like it's tough being in your household right now Smiley Sad

I have a younger sister who has autism, it's really hard isn't it? I don't live with her but I'm getting to know things that she likes and learning to recognise potentiol meltdown scenarios.

One of the options for your family could be some sort of respite, it gives everybody in the house hold a bit of a break from the chaos, so your brother might get to go and do an activity that he might like to do, and you and your parents can also go and do what you'd like to do while he is off doing something, it's a break for everyone. My sister attends a respite service and she gets to do lots of different activities and has helped her a lot. Is that something you think you'd ever feel comfortable slipping into conversation with Mum one day?

A small step for now, could be picking a time you are normally at home with nothing planned and make that time just for you, you might like to go out and do a sports activity or go to the movies, but scheduling time just for you is so important.

//caught in fire, watch me burn gonna live my life, mark these words cause I'm home//
Highlighted
Builder

Hey @Nyra monray how are things at the moment?
//caught in fire, watch me burn gonna live my life, mark these words cause I'm home//

Do you need support?

ReachOut NextStep is a tool that can help you find the best support for you.

Open tool in sidebar
Top High Fived Authors
User High Fives Count