Rookie scribe

What do I do about my gender problem?

I just came out as non-binary to my Mum, who took it quite well: she said it doesn't matter at my age (14) and that I shouldn't fret about it. but she doesn't want anything to change. I'm not allowed a binder and she just says don't worry, but that's hard when I have to be a girl everyday and pretend. My friends are great about it, and really understanding, but surely I can do something?!

Mod

Re: What do I do about my gender problem?

Hey @MiscThoughts,
Welcome to ReachOut! It is so amazing that you were able to come out to your mother as non-binary, that is an amazing thing! Would it be worth talking to your mum again about your feelings surrounding this?

Hey @MiscThoughts I completely agree with @SmileMonkey it's amazing and wonderful that you talked to your mum.

If I'm understanding correctly, the pain you're feeling is that you want to present to the world in a certain way but your mum doesn't support you. Is that correct?

If so, maybe the thing is to gather some information to bolster your argument. If you contact Twenty10 they could give you facts around why it's important for young people to live as authentically as possible. That might be what your mum needs.

What do you think?

Rookie scribe

Thanks for replying. I think I'll go over more of how I want to present myself with my Mum. She is usually really understanding, so nothing can go too horribly wrong. My friends helped me to see a councilor at school, so something might happen. Either way, I think I'll be alright now. Smiley Happy

Mod

Hey @MiscThoughts, like everyone else has said it's so amazing that you were able to talk to your mum about this! These conversations can be tricky, so it's also really great that you've seen a counsellor at your school as well. It seems like your friends are really supportive as well Smiley Happy

Let us know how the conversations with your mum go - from what you've mentioned it seems like your mum is open to a discussion on how you want to present yourself, but we'll be here for support as well when you need it!

Do you need support?

ReachOut NextStep is a tool that can help you find the best support for you.

Open tool in sidebar
Top High Fived Authors