Casual scribe

recovery after a drilling psychologist session

hi everyone so ive just been to a 2 hour psychologist appointment and am reeling abit.

and with more sessions to come but these will be 1 hr sessions but they will be pretty intense just due to the nature of the topic (SH & SL)

i was wondering what people do after these sort of sessions to "recover"? what sort of things help you?

Builder

Re: recovery after a drilling psychologist session

When I had intense psych sessions I would go to a favourite place/park and relax with a drink and something soothing. I would sit there focus on my senses and breathing.
Other times I would slowly walk home instead of catching the bus and take that hour to debrief and think about everything we talked about and then have a nice shower when I got home and let all those thoughts go down the drown.

It's great tour trying to find a way to cope after therapy sessions. It can take a while to find something that will work for you, the idea is to self sooth and ground yourself back in the present and also allow yourself to process everything you've talked about.
I know personally if I didn't go through my processes I was more likely to self harm and not cope very well. I hope you find something that works for you so you get the most out of your sessions.
Casual scribe

yeah @redhead it was pretty drilling but it wont be as long next time but it will still continue to be instense due to the nature of the sessions (suicidal prevention program and SH)

i seem to be ok now but just mentally drained

Builder

@setmefree what's something soothing you could do now to recharge a bit?
Casual scribe

um well im still catching up on washing from all this rain so i still need to do that but i might be able to watch a movie for a while or do some studying

Mod

Hey @setmefree, I think this is a really important thing to raise on the forums. I know I've sometimes needed to wind down after counselling sessions and I'm sure many others have too. One thing that has helped me is to go for a walk or run, kind of use up any excess energy/anger/anxiety I might be experiencing.

Have you been able to watch a movie or do some studying?  

My freedom is an agreement with myself. It's an acceptance and love for who I am that isn't dependent on performance or the will of other people - Renee Yohe
Casual scribe

yeah i got abit of studying done

ive wound down abit now but i have constant anxiety so its as wound down as im going to get

Mod

Hey @setmefree, it can feel quite intense and draining after a psycholigist appointment. Are there anything things you can do afterwards that make you feel happy?
Here is a good link about self-care and why it is so important, especially after going through a intense psychologist appointment. You can find it here.

Casual scribe

hi @SmileMonkey

not really i never get a break. im always at appointments or caring for my pop or caring for my sisters or studying.

it never just get to relax

Mod

Hey @setmefree, It sounds like you have a lot going on at the moment. Especially caring for your pop and sibilings.
I just want to let you know of an organisation called Carers Australia who have a young carer program that provide support for young people in a similar situation to you, you can find information about them here.

It is important to take some time out for ourselves and to have a bit of self-care, but can be extremely hard to find the time when we have so many other commitments going on. Even if it means getting a hot chocolate or a donut after a psycholgoist appointment of just spending 5 minutes to do some meditation, it all helps to take care of you.
Just remember that you can not help others without first helping yourself.

Do you need support?

ReachOut NextStep is a tool that can help you find the best support for you.

Open tool in sidebar
Top High Fived Authors