Mod

something's wrong

I am feeling very pressured right now. Currently, at this very moment I have done nothing for a group assignment that is to be done tomorrow. Which really sucks. Because... what the hell am I even supposed to do???? (like, what does design an activity even mean? How is that "equal work"???)

But there's more. SO much more. I can't! Everything is piling up on me, both literally and figuratively. My room is disgusting. I am struggling to catch up in uni. Yes, I go to every tut and every lecture and yet I am still SO FAR behind. Too much of the wrong work and too little of the one I want. Things keep changing. My chest hurts. I can't. *cries*

There's too much Smiley Sad Also, I promise not to edit or delete this post. Even though I really want to. Sorry.

Mod Squad

Re: something's wrong

Hey @N1ghtW1ng thanks so much for leaving the thread up Smiley Happy It's an issue other members might struggle with and will be happy to stumble across.

Well you raise a good point, it does sound like a very autonomous task to design an activity. Perhaps could you split these tasks off. Maybe the messy room is cluttering your mind a bit? This is just a suggestion, and may not work for your schedule.

But if you cleared your room before bed, so you felt better - could you get up super early and nut out even just a couple of ideas for the group assignment? What are your thoughts?

Mod

But it's due tomorrow @Bree-RO. I just can't! I can't clean my room. I can't do this stupid task. I can't.
Builder

May I ask what subject you have to design an activity for? I work as a tutor so I make my own worksheets and activities so I might be able to help you out. 

I agree with @Bree-RO - even shoving everything in a pile so you have a clear floor might help clear your mind a bit, or going in another room. you can always do a proper clean later - assignment due tomorrow has priority!

Breaking it down into little pieces can also help. It' s what I'm doing with my own assignment right now (and putting off the pieces I don't want to do ) 

Mod

IT'S A FUCKING ACTIVITY KATIE(false name). How many words do you expect an ACTIVITY to have??? HUH? HUH? You dimwit! *screams incoherently*

Okay but seriously. Can someone please tell me that I'm not being completely unreasonable here? We're supposed to have "equal" parts (this in itself makes me want to give someone a sense-giving slap) but I am assigned with designing an activity. Great. Okay. Do you really expect me to speak for an entirety of SIX minutes for an activity, which is done BY THE CLASS?
Here I think, okay. I've got an activity. And it's good, it's related to both the topic (which is poverty and primary education @ivory) plus it doesn't take too much setting up or work (simple discussion and/or writing answers) and NOW they're all "you need to add more" "you need 6 minutes if we're gonna make the time" Are you both dense? *sighs* Okay, I am being a bit mean but in all honestly, aside from the meanness, I'm not being unreasonable, am I?
Now they want to know how it will go to six minutes. It is a discussion on how teachers can help with poverty. Of course I can make it six minutes!
*screams* It's MY part is it? It's a fucking group assignment!!!!! Why can't we work as a TEAM? I KNEW this fucking "divide equally between the three of you" would cause fucking problems.

Now they say it's frustrating I haven't done my work... what are they talking about? I did the activity, it's a discussion. I put some points in. It's a VERBAL thing. What do they want me to do? Script everything? I DON'T KNOW! I FUCKING CAN'T!

At the moment, my room is the least of my problems. This group assignment has just escalated everything.
I'm shaking. Oh god I hate this so much! Smiley Sad
Mod

Oh congratulations on being able to do this AND handle all your fucking stress. Congrats to you on being on top of this stupid-ass task.
Sorry I don't give a shit about facebook! Sorry I've been too overwhelmed! Sorry you don't like what I've done! Just fucking leave me alone!

Maybe. Oh great I'm crying. Maybe I'll just stay home tomorrow. Email the tutor that I can't and just accept a fail.
Mod Squad

Hey @N1ghtW1ng sounds like this assignment is really stirring things up for ya tonight. Was that a roleplay directed at your tutor? It can be good to cry, sometimes we just need to let that kind of energy fly I think.. How do you feel after writing that?

I remember feeling the same way during group assignments at uni.. I think I may have a couple even in my post grad; they're very frustrating. There's nothing quite like them.. But it's a great resource to draw upon when we work in our chosen careers and need to liaise with groups of people to get things done. Is your concern with the work that isn't done, or the fact that your presenting in front of the class.. or something else I am missing? Feel free to leave these questions until later if it is too much Heart

Mod

That was directed at my group actually @Bree-RO.
I'll try to explain it a bit more clearly. (I'm actually fine with presenting things, plus I did do what I was asked to. It's just "not enough" apparently *sighs*)
So, this assignment is a group of three task. Our tutor has strongly pushed that we have to divide the talking time equally. (I think this is stupid for many reasons including one member could of done all the powerpoint or research or an activity*cough*me*cough* so it's absurd to think "talking time"="work") Second, it has to, as in MUST, be 20 minutes. So this equals up to 6 minutes min per person. Okay, still fine. Now I will outline the problems (because this is helping)
Problem 1. Katie(I think it was her) made the docs and gave members tasks. This I don't mind, I was suppose to make the doc but I lost their emails and didn't know their names. (probably my fault Smiley Sad). My task (my literal only task) was to "design an activity relating to the topic".
Problem 1a: What does that even mean? Is it a game? What sort of thing are you expecting? *sighs*
Problem 1b: Are you expecting this activity to equal up to my 6 minutes of speaking time? (because let me tell you this, I don't speak for the whole time)

Problem 2: I just did a run-through of talking through the information they got and I hit 10 minutes. Including the video but excluding my activity (because I don't know how long that will take) Hm.... HMMMMM...... Shouldn't that be 12 minutes? HMMMMM???????? I can't even tell your sections apart on the google doc. Who's talking for what? What's where? *sighs*

Problem 3: My activity. I'm really lost for ideas. The best I came up with is them all coming up with ways that they as teachers can help their students in poverty. Which in itself is a pretty good idea. But "oh will it last six minutes? You NEED to have six minutes" *grumbles* probably not. But you want them to discuss something like this, right? Of course! Of course I can make it 6 minutes. Give them 5 minutes of discussing and then gather ideas together and then mention the ones from the slide in further detail (especially if they were missed by the group) The issue with this? The fucking tutorial group probably won't engage with the stupid activity.

Problem 3: I hate all of this. (okay, that wasn't helpful) Basically, it'll look like an uneven division of work. Which it is. Which was NOT my choice! Let me make this clear, (and yes, if I'd spoken up I could've changed it but if you really think I could do that, then you are wrong) Katie and Maddy had all the research stuff and I was given designing an activity. Like... seriously? Did you two plan it that way? Oh yeah, we'll do all the research and have all the text for our 6 minutes of talking. And you can have an activity. Good luck of having 6 minutes of talking. Well, that's what it feels like and I have no idea how I would be able to communicate that to them... it would seem like I am blaming them for my little work. Which "oh you could've said something" "why didn't you just say, "I'll research this" and then do that" "oh yeah that would've been fine" Yeah, no. I MIGHT be able to talk to my tutor... but probably not.

Problem 4: They don't even give me a chance! NO CHANCE! Katie's already said "let's add a video" "oh I found a video" and now "I've made a quiz that'll take 5 minutes at the end". Gee. Thanks. You've created another activity for the class to do. Oh wait, wasn't that what you wanted ME to do? Honestly? Oh yay me. I am going to get the lowest fucking marks because you are too impatient to just wait for me to see your messages and look for videos or plan something else.

So that's basically it. This stupid assignment in four problems. I did stop crying almost immediately after saying I was crying. But now I want to cry again. Smiley Sad
Builder

That sounds SO frustrating, I don't think your emotions here are unreasonable. 

Personally I think discussion points are a good idea - I was going to suggest a little thought exercise, where people imagine what its like to be in poverty, imagine what help and support they would want, what it would feel like to have/not have that support... etc. If the class doesn't engage, fine, you dont tell them what to think. but it can still take up six minutes

do you have a rationale or something individual you hand in to the tutor for this? Usually if there's an uneven division of work thats where you put these kinds of thoughts, so your tutor can adjust your marks.

This is probably a bit late but good luck with your presentation! Tell us how you went when youre done!!

Mod

Oh crap @ivory! There's a 500 word something we're supposed to do as well! D:
Sorry for pretty much ignoring your first post last night though, my assignment pretty much took over :\ At least it will be over and done with today.

My stupid uni would only cancel at midday yesterday. And even though there's sunshine, they opened today as well. Honestly, stop holding acedemics up so high and just give in to the weather! *sighs* I don't want to go but I said I would so yeah. Oh well.

Do you need support?

ReachOut NextStep is a tool that can help you find the best support for you.

Open tool in sidebar
Top High Fived Authors
User High Fives Count