Mod

Re: But it has to be purrrrfect!

What strategies do you use to cope with the not so great side of perfectionism?

@cupcakes_032that's a really cool perspective about being real, not perfect! Definitely going to incorporate that into my positive self talk.

Something that has helped me lately (which we've talked about throughout the session tonight) is to remember to enjoy the process, rather than focusing on one solution.

I think it's important to keep in mind that feeling stressed out about having to be perfect is a common thing, and when we feel stressed or unmotivated it can be difficult to find/keep in mind these strategies. The most important thing is that to keep trying regardless, because that's how we improve and positive changes are made.

@Aschehaha sounds like the unshaded drawings were an unexpected benefit of finding the journey to be better than a finished/"perfect" product! Smiley Tongue

Super star contributor

1. Go for a run, remember that running is enjoyable for me and not someone else

2. Stay off social media = can't see people posting about all the "perfect" things and the "likes" they get for said post

3. Bake because it usually tastes good even if it doesn't always look the best

4. Hug big ted or someone because hugs make everything okay

Mod

I totes do that as well @Stealth_ninja. With assignments I always start with random dot points even if they make no sense and are just vague ideas it always gets the ball rolling! Another one for assignments is to set a timer for 5 or 10 minutes and tell yourself that you are going to focus on it for that amount of time and not get distracted. Often this gets my in "the zone" and I end up spending 30 mins or so focusing Smiley Very Happy

With exercise I sometimes put my runners etc on and tell myself I'm not actually going to go (because I don't want to) but then once I have all my stuff on I always end up going anyway.
Mod

@Stealth_ninjalove your 'just start' strategy. Sometimes taking that first step can be scary and hard, but just making a start shows heaps of strength!

@loves netballexactly, it's important to find strategies that work the best for you. And I absolutely agree! It doesn't matter if baked goods don't look exactly like the recipe's photo - it's all about the taste Smiley Happy

Super star contributor

I want to add the whole process of baking is just fun - especially when it's decorating. The same with running (excluding fun runs); during the run is the best when negative thoughts shift to positives

Mod

What strategies do you use to cope with the not so great side of perfectionism?

For me it's really all about monitoring the self talk, making sure to pick up on when I'm being unreasonably hard on myself. Just reminding myself of some of the things we've been talking about tonight like it being mostly unattainable and subjective really helps Smiley Happy

Mod

6. What strategies do you use to cope with the not so great side of perfectionism?

@Asche, yeah I also need some sort of urgent deadline coming up so that i can accept something as 'good enough' and get stuff done instead of trying to nitpick and stuff. But then waiting til the last minute is the negative procrastination side of perfectionism for me.. I like the idea of putting a 'fake deadline' before the real deadline. So there's the pressure to get it done but it's not so last minute that things get handed in late. Not sure if I can really 'trick' myself into it but i think i'll try that again next year

But yeah, I try to just do my best if it's something important to me, and if I'm getting stressed from spending way too much time on something that isn't really going to make that much of a difference in the end, then i'll leave it

Focusing on the journey is good too, like in drawing. Sometimes when I'm just experimenting and don't have an end goal in mind (like the exact picture i want to draw), it's fun to see where things lead... like new ideas pop into my head and I just go with it and see how it all ends up! I think this is when the journey is fun for me

Maybe just having a go at things and gaining new experiences, even if things don't turn out as planned Smiley Happy

Mod

raw.gif 

Harness the power of panic to shut up your inner critic!

...what? I never said it was a good strategy.

(Seriously, I need help. Somebody please get me some alternatives.)

P.S. I found an example of a sketch where I was happier with the WIP than the final product. *sigh*

Ling WIP

ling.jpg

WHY ARE EYES SO HARD TO GET RIGHT?!?!

*sigh*

Super star contributor

@Asche THAT IS ABSOLUTELY AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mod

wow loving all the strategies, especially the baking @loves netball there is always time for cake!!

Top High Fived Authors