Mod

Re: But it has to be purrrrfect!

some good things about perfectionism are that it can be a good motivator, driving us to do our best

My freedom is an agreement with myself. It's an acceptance and love for who I am that isn't dependent on performance or the will of other people - Renee Yohe
Builder

What are some good things about perfectionism?

I think perfectionism helps people set high goals and ultimately make people work to the best of their ability. It helps motivate people and get them to strive for 100% in what they are doing.

Mod

@loves netball A gingerbread house sounds awesome! You should totally post a picture of it in the RO recipes thread when you're done Smiley Happy

Mod

@loves netballthat's a really valid point about being okay with a finished product/achievement that's near perfect. I think that's a great perspective to have!

Mod

@Chessca_H, yeah i think maybe perfectionism isn't realistic if it has to be sustained.. like sometimes i've finished something and it seems 'perfect' to me (more like 'good enough'/'i've done the best i can' feeling)... but that's like a one off kind of thing, and i wouldn't be able to do that all the time because i'd just always be working on things to get them 'perfect'. and then end up feeling worn out all the time

Community Manager

I think s good thing about perfection is that it's unatainable, as someone who has learned to love journeys more than the destination, that makes me happy, because there's always a bit more to explore or discover Smiley Happy Took me a while to learn to see that things that way though, and i still get caught in the trap of thinking about what something i have made isn't, rather than appreiciating what it is! 

Mod

Yes @Alison5!!! That's what I think perfectionism helps so much with. Always having a goal as a motivator to drive us Smiley Happy
Mod

[ Edited ]

While the idea of perfect often isn't attainable, having that idea in my head does sometimes help to push me to do the best I can to get closer to that idea. Plus, sometimes thinking about what things would be like if they were perfect can be a nice feeling under the right circumstances.

Mod

Sometimes perfectionism can push us to perform well, and to set and achieve goals that we may not have otherwise had. I think it can be a healthy and beneficial thing to set high standards for ourselves (while developing resilience and coping mechanisms/doing self care-y things in case things don't quite go as expected).

Mod

i think perfect is definitely an unattainable concept. that's something i'd add to my earlier post, actually...

My freedom is an agreement with myself. It's an acceptance and love for who I am that isn't dependent on performance or the will of other people - Renee Yohe
Top High Fived Authors