Mod

Re: But it has to be purrrrfect!

@khaleesi_18 totally! I think the benefits of perfectionism really come when you can deal with the idea of things not actually going perfectly.

Mod

@Ben-ROYES learning to enjoy the journey not just the destination is hugely important (and something I'm still working on sometimes...!)

@Chessca_Hideas of what a perfect/ideal situation would look like can help, particularly when thinking about recovery (and goal setting more generally)

Super star contributor

If it wasn't for perfectionism, I wouldn't have got the marks for uni; finished my undergrad and be doing masters (but masters isn't going perfectly)

Builder

[ Edited ]

Mod

@loves netball getting into a masters is a huge achievement! Well done on pushing through even when things aren't perfect Smiley Happy

Mod

Sorry everyone my wifi is being super dodgy!

I really agree with what everyone is saying, having this notion of perfect is definitely a motivator but has also helped me learn a lot about myself. Kind of what @Ben-RO and @khaleesi_18 mentioned about the journey and just forcing yourself to examine what your values are. Especially with uni this year i have kind of had to just accept that "done" is enough although i dont really believe that haha

Mod

Sounds like it has helped you pushed past your highest level to new heights @loves netball. Awesome!
Mod

I do feel the need to add that too much immersion into the journey may not be a perfect idea either from personal experience. Kinda felt like I didn't care too much about the final result, which was bad...
Mod

@Stealth_ninjahaha I relate to your point about uni SO MUCH. If we have a lot of other things going on that take up spoons, submitting an assignment/checking something from the to do list as 'done' (regardless of the outcome) can be an awesome achievement.

Mod

[ Edited ]

So next question...

How might perfectionism become a negative thing?

I agree with others on how perfectionism can be a good motivator to do your best... but then I realised that for me, wanting something to be perfect kind of has the opposite effect and makes me want to procrastinate and put things off. I guess it's sort of like going too far and really doubting whether or not I can do the thing well enough so that I consider it 'perfect'. It feels restrictive which is not how I want to feel when I want to try to do something the best I can

Top High Fived Authors
User High Fives Count