Builder

Re: But it has to be purrrrfect!

How does perfectionism affect creative activities that you might do (e.g. writing, drawing, dance)? 

From my experience, I picture drawings and other art in my head. I try to create them and before I even get half way through I'm angry and frustrated with the whole experience because it's not what I saw in my head, instead of just accepting that I tried my best and it can't always look like the picture in my head. If it's art related like drawing, I can sometimes just give up on it. I have so many of those adult colouring books that I've started and got mad because I made a mistake and never opened again.

//caught in fire, watch me burn gonna live my life, mark these words cause I'm home//
Super star contributor

I include baking and netball in that (sometimes feeding the goal circle is like a craft) and I wish I could include other things like running and deadlifting. I almost avoid things that I'm not "perfect" at with fear of criticism for making a mistake or not being good enough at these things. I have family and others who yell and scare me when things go wrong so now I have an intense fear of making mistakes; being a failure; not being good enough so now I avoid things. I don't want to be judged for not meeting others expectations - but this is all entirely something that I shouldn't have to worry about

Builder

Somebody I know worked themselves to the ground every single day just to get everything they wanted so perfect even though in the end it made no difference to anybody else. It ended up really effecting their relationships and their mental health
//caught in fire, watch me burn gonna live my life, mark these words cause I'm home//
Mod

Hey guys! Sorry I'm late- currently in the midst of fighting off a food coma.

Re: ways in which perfectionism can be bad- I'm going to come at this from a different angle and say that, not only does perfection potentially make you more vulnerable, it can also make it very difficult to appear vulnerable, which makes getting the right help quite difficult when you need it, since your past record of successes can overshadow current setbacks to other people.

E.g. you walk away from an exam feeling absolutely shattered- only for people to tell you that it's not a big deal, because a) they expect you're going to do pretty well anyway or b) "at least you have your other marks".

It's not just in academics either, since I don't think perfectionism is solely restricted to the educational domain. I think we all feel a certain degree of "social perfectionism", where we feel like we have to present ourselves as being constantly on top of everything, all at once, which can also make it really hard to seek help in the first place.

Mod

I know how you feel there @j95 with giving up on drawings! I've got a book of regret of half finished drawings because I messed up and can't seem to revisit it and I don't know how to fix it.
Mod

haha @cupcakes_032- I think I've mentioned it before, but I actually quit drawing a few years ago because of perfectionism a few years ago. It took waaaaayyyy too goddamned long to properly finish a sketch (24+ hours), and even then I was barely ever happy with the final results. I figured it wasn't worth the frustration.

Mod

[ Edited ]

How does perfectionism affect creative activities that you  might do (e.g. writing, drawing, dance)?

I can really relate to perfectionism having a bad effect on creativity. I used to do a lot of singing and acting, but in the last few years that's fallen to the wayside due to not feeling good enough at either (which is silly because I love doing them!). It's something I really want to work on getting back into in future, but for now it's just singing around the house Smiley Tongue

Mod

How does perfectionism affect creative activities that you might do (e.g. writing, drawing, dance)?

I think when I'm trying to draw something, perfectionism can make me really want to get it right. It can be frustrating along the way but in the end I feel pretty good about it if I'm happy with how the drawing turns out... I think the journey to trying to get things 'perfect' can be frustrating, but I like to think that it's intense concentration... but you can probably feel like happy/pleasant when concentrating hard right? Like being in 'flow'? I'm not sure

When I'm trying to ice cupcakes, I try to get them perfect but it usually turns out not that great looking Smiley Tongue - icing melting off to areas I don't want it to go. But I'm okay with that because it's not something that's super important to me (compared to schoolwork maybe)

But if I really care about getting something to be 'perfect', then that's when the negative aspects like self doubt and procrastination come in.. which is sort of ironic i guess

Builder

I guess this applies to sport as well, like football. After each game I dwell on how many touches i go compared to how many I should of gotten, how I could of kicked more goals etc. In a way it helps because it turns me into a better place and helps me identify that I can improve but sometimes it does go too far and I get upset with myself.
Mod

How does perfectionism effect creative activities that you might do (e.g. writing, drawing, dance)?

I'd say that frustration when art doesn't quite turn out right is pretty common @j95. Comparing our levels of talent to others (whose works we perceive as perfect) can be tricky to deal with, and result in lower self esteem, too. I've had friends who have produced amazing visual art pieces or written incredible songs but are reluctant to share them with others, because they aren't 100% happy.

On the flip side though, I sing, and when I listen to a singer that has a stronger/more impressive vocal range than me, it motivates me to work harder. I also used to sing heaps and have lessons, but I'm so out of practice and feel nervous to get back into it properly. Same with exercise too actually... again, I think this relates back to @Ben-RO's point about enjoying the journey of improvement, rather than only being satisfied at the end result.

Top High Fived Authors