Mod

Re: But it has to be purrrrfect!

hey guys sorry to jump in so late I was at a comedy show.....I can so relate to what everyone is saying about perfectionism. It really can hinder us from doing things because we don't want to make mistakes or make something that isn't perfect! It has certainly stopped me from drawing and writing (two things which I used to love)
Mod

I'm out now. Look forward to reading all your answers later. Night all!
Mod

@j95 so true - I do the visualising too and the reality hardly ever looks the same as it does in my head. I think I even do that with uni assignments to some degree and I think about completing tasks as a one step thing whereas they take a lot of time, effort, mistakes, editing etc to be good
Mod

@May_ I think one of the main reasons why I procrastinated with writing my 4unit english major work was because when I'm not in the "flow" I just find myself editing the same paragraph over, and over, and over, and it eventually got too frustrating. A lot of the time I needed the pressure/panic of a looming deadline to shut up my internal editor so I could focus on getting stuff out there, instead of editing.

On the topic of "it's the journey, not the destination"- I think there's been instances where I've been happier when my art projects were only half-way done (e.g. sketches done, but not shaded) because I thought the work-in-progress looked better than the final product...

Mod

hi @May_ Smiley Happy

Wow these are all really great answers! (no pressure hehe)

From reading's everyone's responses, I think I'm realising that perfectionism can turn into a problem when it stops us from doing what we love, like singing or art. When it gets past motivating and becomes demotivating

@khaleesi_18, when you were talking about your friends writing songs and being reluctant to share them, it reminded me of something i read somewhere about being real, not perfect (cos we're human)

Super star contributor

@cupcakes_032 want some help with icing cupcakes? dip a knife into hot water. Make the icing the drier than it should be too

Builder

Next question....

6. What strategies do you use to cope with the not so great side of perfectionism?

//caught in fire, watch me burn gonna live my life, mark these words cause I'm home//
Mod

thanks so much @loves netball! haha i wasn't expecting to get great baking tips here Smiley Wink

Super star contributor

Also @cupcakes_032 make the icing YELLOW

Mod

This is a really tough question because i think its easy to get bogged down with it sometimes. There are a couple of different strategies I use, when im procrastinating a lot and it becomes sort of paralysing to doing an activity or write something my motto is "just start" like just start, just writing something or just get up or just try. It doesn't always work but it does sometimes, especially if i have a deadline or something. 

Also what I think what i was alluding to before, that done is enough and also being okay with doing my best in that moment. In terms of art and creativity, relationships.. its kind of an ongoing battle with myself that really has forced me to grow. Trying to be okay with my best, that my best is enough and perfection is in the eye of the beholder. Not really sure what else to say, i dont have the answers!

Top High Fived Authors