Builder

Re: [CHAT] Body Image

What does a healthy body image look like?

I totally agree with @Alison5. I don't really have anything more to add Smiley Tongue Maybe not worrying about what other people think (which can be super hard) and just feeling comfortable as you.

Mod

welcome @loves netball and @Asche!
Super star contributor

-Provided someone is of healthy weight or near healthy weight (don't make me give a lecture of how stupid BMI is Smiley Tongue), it doesn't matter what shape or size is. As long as your healthy and looking after your body, your image is almost irrelevant. Well that's what it should be!!

Builder

Accepting yourself for who you are and not letting your flaws get to you.  And I guess it's also looking at things that can be changed and realising that sometimes it might take a while to change things sometimes and you have to be patient with yourself.

Builder

Oh that's interesting @May_. So instead of saying, 'Man, I wish I looked more like her,' you might say, 'Wow, she looks nice today.' Or something?

Mod

[ Edited ]

@roseisnotaplantyeah thank you for putting that into potential thoughts to have Smiley Happy I think that is really important. Another one could be maybe something like instead of "wow how does she look like that I want to look like that but I never will" you could think "that person must eat healthy and exercise so that motivates me to take care of my body"

Super star contributor

I think it's important to remember that Barbie and superman aren't ideal for what women and men should look like

Builder

[ Edited ]

So true @loves netball. I actually heard that if Barbie was a real person, she wouldn't survive because she would suffocate herself due to her disproportionate (unrealistic) body.

Builder

Absolutely @loves netball. It worries me that characters like that are marketed to younger kids. Do you think it's unhealthy having that like 'perfect' image put into the heads of five-year-olds? I've never really thought about it like that before.

Super star contributor

I have to go for a while, will be back - siblings and making me come with them to get food (talk about peer pressure).

And I can't believe I like Barbie as a kid Smiley Tongue
Top High Fived Authors
User High Fives Count