Community Manager

Re: [CHAT] Body Image

Oooh that's a good question @roseisnotaplant and kinda ties into our next discussion question: 

Where do you think the pressure to "have a good body for summer" -or just a particular body image- comes from?
Builder

Okay, next question Smiley Very Happy

Where do you think the pressure to "have a good body for summer" comes from?

Builder

Haha we had the same thought @Ben-RO Smiley Tongue

Builder

Where do you think the pressure to "have a good body for summer" -or just a particular body image- comes from?

Without hesitation, I have to say the media. Everywhere we look is images of unrealistic models with the perfect bodies, stick thin legs and blemish-free faces.

Even having these endless filters on our devices for photos is only supporting this industry and idea. It's taken over society and is consuming all of us, especially our younger generations who are growing up with technology.

Mod

Where do you think the pressure to "have a good body for summer" comes from?

I think this can mostly be attributed to the media, fashion industry, celebrity culture, etc.
Community Manager

haha sorry @roseisnotaplant! I think i accidentally stole your question, ooops

Builder

Mareketing. Advertising. There are industries designed to make people feel like they have something wrong with them so that they'll buy a product to 'fix them.' Also just pressures from your peers and friends - even if those pressures aren't really there and are just percieved.

Mod

@roseisnotaplant so true - peer pressure and norms are so influential particularly in high school!
Builder

[ Edited ]

Just in general media, we see the supposed need for young people with fit and athletic bodies in day-to-day TV, advertisments, the internet, movies. This is espically true now that many of us are active users of the internet and the content that we're exposed to demands that we need to want a body that conforms to other people's notions of healthy/skinny/fit/etc. when in realality there's nothing that needs to be changed with our bodies.

We also see the body's of friends and we think that we need to be like them just because they're 'skinny' or 'muscular', or anything that we want to idolise as we want to be like our peers and friends in nearly every way possible.

Community Manager

Where do you think the pressure to "have a good body for summer" -or just a particular body image- comes from?\

Everywhere, in some senses even talking about body image in this thread is creating pressure to have a certain body image, because we're like "everybody be healthy!" and if someone has an unhealthy body image, they might feel quite a bit of pressure! 

I think we are social animals. So we will always take queues from others and we'll always be influenced, what we can hope to do is notice the influence and decide for ourelves... maybe? I am not sure Smiley Tongue 

Top High Fived Authors