Builder

Re: [CHAT] Body Image

Seems like the media puts the most pressure on us Smiley Sad Are we ready for the next Q?

What do you think is key to having positive body image?

Builder

• Having the confidence to disregard what other people say/think. This can be challenging.
  • Having confidence in yourself and your choices (also challenging).
  • Surrounding yourself with positive people and communities as opposed to ones that foster a 'perfect' body.
  • Telling yourself you look great Smiley Happy
  • Probably some others, what does everyone else think?
Builder

hey everyone sorry im a little late, im a bit sick so had to go get some stuff to make me not so sick
//caught in fire, watch me burn gonna live my life, mark these words cause I'm home//
Builder

Personally, I think some of the key ideas to have a postitive body image is to remember that your body is exactly that, *your* body. Question the media when they show someone who claims to have a 'healthy body', you don't need to and you shouldn't compare yourself to people in the media, And remember to love yourself for your body, in my view that is also an important thing to remember as well.
Builder

1. Self assurance

2. Confidence and positive self-esteem

3. The ability to accept

4. Positive influences

Builder

Accapting who you are.

Builder

What are some examples of positive influences @Alison5? Like people with a positive attitude towards body image?

Builder

Being able to see that everybody is different and that realistically not all bodies can look the same, loving the skin you're in
//caught in fire, watch me burn gonna live my life, mark these words cause I'm home//
Community Manager

This is such a tricky question, I think we scared everyone off! 

I think one of the keys is to notice the influences we have unconsciously or consciously soaked up over the years. 

Another thing is not striving for some random definition of perfection.Accepting and then learning to love who we are is pretty awesome and very hard to do though! But definitely worth it.  

These days I'm pretty happy with all the cool stuff our bodies can do and how they keep our brains and the wonderful minds inside ticking over. 
Builder

Yeah, so people that also value acceptance of themselves. Being around family and friends that are encouraging and not demeaning especially towards body image.
Top High Fived Authors