Community Manager

Re: [CHAT] Body Image

Okay almost time for the next question! 

Do you think body confidence is important?

Builder

Yes, but it doesn't need to be over the top. Just confident enough to stand up for what you think is right. So maybe that's being able to look at all those advertisments and realise they are a sham and unnecessary. 

I think it will help in other aspects of life, like self-esteem and socially as well.

Builder

@Ben-RO told me to say this Smiley Tongue

I think it would be nice we all took a 5 minute break to have a snack or wake up from almost falling asleep (its not the chat I promise)

Im taking a break myself, talk in 5!
//caught in fire, watch me burn gonna live my life, mark these words cause I'm home//
Builder

Well, I'll grab a clif bar if you insist @j95 @Ben-RO Smiley Tongue

Super star contributor

I'm back but now I've basically missed the whole thing and by the time I catch up, it will be log off time Smiley Sad

Community Manager

Ah that's a clever answer @Alison5 how do we stand up for our view of a healthy body image? Is it in how we choose to be comfortable happy and loved as we are? Or is it more out there and pushing back on the werid views society has on body image that impact our confidence? 

Super star contributor

Where do you think the pressure to "have a good body for summer" -or just a particular body image- comes from?

Everywhere - even at uni last year girls talk about it!

Super star contributor

What do you think is key to having positive body image?

Not giving a rats about what someone else says. Other peoples opinions are not out own and do not have to be taken on board. People who used to pick on me and say I had a fat tummy as a kid, clearly weren't happy enough with being skinny themselves and had to take me down a level. Well no I better than that!

Builder

Yeah, I do think it's important. Like having confidence in yourself and who you are and what you look like can help with confidence in general everyday life. I think you're more likely to go and start a conversation with someone if you have confidence in your rad new hairstyle, if that makes sense.

Builder

Personally, I think it's choosing to be happy and comfortable as we are. Whilst it might be important and sometimes good to push back on societies view on body image, it can also allow you to become preoccupied, missing the whole idea of acceptance completely.
Some people like to strive for those perfect bodies, but ALSO realise that it is unattainable, so it's more their motivation and drive.
Dunno if that made any sense, but anyway...
Top High Fived Authors
User High Fives Count