Community Manager

Re: [CHAT] Body Image

Definitely everywhere @loves netball and i wonder if it's a kind of self reinforcing thing... like people get kinda brainwashed into thinking a certain way, and then they either intentionally or unintentionally pull other people into their way of seeing things? 

Super star contributor

Do you think body confidence is important?

Yep and it's called dress how I like all the time. I also don't think girls should be pressured into having the perfect bikini body, or being tanned enough. Nor do I think guys should see how big their biceps can get.

And to all the people hiding scars I feel you, but they're not shameful and most people shouldn't get close enough to see them anyway!

Mod

[ Edited ]

Where do you think the pressure to "have a good body for summer" -or just a particular body image- comes from?

While I agree with everyone in that media and marketing (I'm looking at you, Instagram/tabloid magazines) have a lot to do with putting pressure on people to conform to a certain body type, I'd also lay a fair part of the blame on just plain ol' sex. I mean, let's face it - not everyone who works out at the gym is doing it for their health. A large part of it is simply about aesthetics and being "attractive" - even if there's not necessarily a partner in mind that you specifically want to be attractive to. At the end of the day, humans are animals, and all of us (asexuals aside) have an inbuilt desire to be reproductively appealing...particularly if we're anticipating that we're going to be nude in front of someone we desperately want to impress.

(Of course, you could argue that it's the media that tells us what is "attractive", so it kind of becomes a cyclical argument.)

What do you think is key to having positive body image?

Hmmm...that's a tricky one. As everyone's noted already, the media (I'm looking at you, tabloid magazines/Instagram) plays a big part in putting pressure on us to conform to a certain body image, and that's pretty hard to avoid, unless if you're keen on becoming a hermit and live in the wilds (not entirely untempting, on some days). But I think it mostly has to do with having a sense of self that's at least partially divorceable from your body image (noting that body image does not always equal actual body shape).

Essentially, what I mean by that is the first thing you think of when you describe yourself to a stranger should not be "I'm fat" or "I'm thin". In fact, I'd probably go so far as to say it shouldn't be in the top ten descriptives you think of - there are so many more interesting things to a person than their bodies. Because at the end of the day, we're all pretty similar there. Almost everyone has four limbs, a head and a face; there's so much more that makes you you than how much (or how little) fat you happen to carry around with you.

EDIT: Oh, and not trying to get into other peoples' heads too much. Stop thinking "what do they think of me"? Because seriously, unless you ask (which, let's face it, most of us won't), you're never going to know for sure, and you'll only drive yourself mad if you spend too long trying to figure it out from conjecture.

Super star contributor

@Ben-RO I hope I'm not in trouble for this... it's about time people stopped bagging out people who are skinny; or others putting pressure on people to be fit. A lot of people get being thin and fit confused two completely different things. So sometimes when people are told to get fit, they think they look fatter than normal. And then comes all the dangerous stuff....

Super star contributor

Well said @Asche!!

Super star contributor

@Ben-RO should also say that body image is even sporting clubs... can't speak for males, buts was in my netball junior teams or should I say constantly saying we had to be a certain fitness, and young girls don't know any better. It can be the same with guys... 

Builder

Okay, how about this one;

What are some things you like about your body?

Builder

It's a hard question and I don't actually like answering it but anyway...

My hair is nice and easy to put up Smiley Tongue My nails grow nicely. Small boobs that don't get in the way Smiley Tongue I like that I eat heaps, but it doesn't show. (That's more my metabolism, but i've never felt "fat" really.)

Convienience really Smiley Very Happy

Community Manager

@loves netball definitely agree on the guy front! So much random pressure, and you don't even notice it until you start looking for it! 

Well, i like my eyes, and i like that i am pretty tall, and I like that I can beat lots of people when i ride my bike so umm... my legs and VO2 max i guess Smiley Tongue 
Super star contributor

I hope you're not going to ask the opposite of this question Smiley Tongue

-my hair colour Smiley Tongue

-can run - endurance

-athletic kind of build

-short so I can run throw people's legs Smiley LOL

-the colour yellow suits me fine and I love it!!

-it's mine and I don't give a rats what anyone says about it!!

Top High Fived Authors