Community Manager

Re: [CHAT] Body Image

Oh gee! @loves netball i will do it! But... eeep i am scared!

Okay and it's 10 so this ends the fast speedy live part of the chat, but feel free to come back and keep chatting whenever you're feeling it, or even start a new thread. 

Gnite from me! 

Builder

I'm also about to dissappear @loves netball Smiley Tongue Thanks for a great chat everyone! Have an awesome week Smiley Very Happy

Super star contributor

Maybe I'll get lucky at footy training one night @Ben-RO!

Community Manager

Okay thank you all! I look forward to reading your answers, but for now I'm gonna look after my body by giving it som rest Smiley Happy

See you allll sooon Smiley Happy 

Builder

Goodnight, thanks for your input!
Mod

Why do people find it difficult to identify positive aspects of their body?

I mean, the easy answer is just that we're constantly comparing ourselves to unrealistically high standards, right? We all want to be perfect, so we tend to compare ourselves to individuals with relatively ideal bodies, whether that happens to be our friends, or  (perhaps more commonly) celebrities and other media figures. And in doing so, we tend to forget that those guys tend to have a lot more help looking the way they do than we do- models have special trainers that help them train their bodies for juuust the right amount of muscle definition and posture, talented photographers to ensure they're always well-lit and a whole team of hair and make-up professionals and photoshop retouchers to make sure every single feature is pixel-perfect.

Hey, if we had that much help, we'd probably look pretty model-esque too. We don't though, because our job isn't to look pretty, and we don't spend 40 hours ensuring that that's the case. And that's fine! Because seriously- how many of us actually want to spend that much time working on their looks?

But your brain doesn't make that connection, because a lot of the work that models put in isn't inherently obvious. We don't punish ourselves for not being able to sprint as fast as Usain Bolt, because we know how much training he's put in to get as fast as he is. But what models do is often opaque, so it's easier to assume that we could just look the way they do with a bit of readily-achievable effort, so we punish ourselves when it turns out that we can't meet those unrealistic expectations. 

(No offense to any models or would-be models who might be reading this - you do you, and I respect the amount of effort you put into your work. But I don't think I'm being controversial when I say- not everyone wants to become a model.)

Mod

Aaand that's me out. Gonna scurry off to bed before my headache picks up again. Night everyone!

Top High Fived Authors