Super frequent scribe

Re: [CHAT] Can we be your study buddy?

Without a doubt meditation! Smiling Mind is a wonderful app!

Builder

@Ben-RO Being in Year 10 consequences of not doing work would be far less than in Uni so for me I don't think so. Physical health comes first..

You'd probably fail the course of you didn't do the work in Uni right? I have no clue about this stuff...
Mod

@Ben-RO I think of it as "Do I have the energy/spoons to do something unhealthy?" I might pull an all-nighter if I haven't done one in a while and absolutely need to, but try not to rely on it too much. Same goes for other situations in which I might be doing something unhealthy. That being said, I think certain things for me are off limits, since they're tied to other issues which are potentially triggering

Community Manager

@FootyFan26 yep, generally if you don't do the work you don't pass the course, and then you might not be able to do another course until you pass, so you have to go do it again and.... well it gets messy Smiley Tongue 

Mod

Rather than reach the point of needing to pull an all-nighter I like to start working on assignment as soon as I get it. 50 minutes a night 5 days a week, as this really does help to get the assignment completed without becoming boring and annoying.

Self-care during study is super important, but what about getting help?

What resources are there in your school, TAFE or uni to help students cope with the pressures of study? Do you think they could do more?

Mod

If your in High School it's great to try and talk to your subjects teacher so they are aware if you are having issues completing the work. Extensions are always avaliable and teachers do understand if you are having problems and are generally happy to help.
I have studied at both tafe and uni and both have had excellent student support. I have always had access to tutors and counselling services. Don't be afraid to ask for help, as there may be a service avaliable that you are unaware of. I believe that tertiary education has improved significantly in the support avaliable for students.

@SmileMonkey i am impressed by your dedication! Clearly you have your procrastination monkey well tamed. 

What are some things you might suggest for people who struggle with that kind of routine? 

Builder

What resources are there in your school, TAFE or uni to help students cope with the pressures of study? Do you think they could do more?

I wish I had that much commitment @SmileMonkey!

We have:

• Counsellors
  • Co-curricular programs for maths and english
  • Homework clubsTeachers are always open to helping students

I feel like teachers should do more for individual students when they recognise that not much is getting done.  A lot of the time they notice but don't really ask them about it.

Mod

[ Edited ]

Unfortunately many of my lecturers and supervisors have not been supportive or understanding when things have been tough, some of whom have actively made my life harder and put increasing pressure on me, which kind of sucks and certainly doesn't help me learn! I've had other people that have been really good though and tried to support and sometimes protect me from some of the people who are trying to make my life tough. Like many places, my uni has counselling and other academic support services and there's also a headspace nearby. I've got some great friends as well who really help me get through stuff and I think it's important for people to remember and use those around them as supports, they don't have to be professionals! 

Top High Fived Authors