Mod

Re: [CHAT] Can we be your study buddy?

@lokifish that seems like a sound strategy! The incentive idea also sounds like you're rewarding yourself for making a good effort, rather than for doing the work perfectly, which is a much less stressful way of thinking about your studies

Builder

I have a goal and in order to reach that I have to keep going, even though it sucks at times I'm not going to get where I want if I don't continue @Ben-RO

I also couldn't read till I was like probably at least 10 so I guess I'm pretty thankful that I actually can read now idk
//caught in fire, watch me burn gonna live my life, mark these words cause I'm home//
Mod

[ Edited ]

@j95 nursing is a bit like that with the hands-on thing too. I prefer to learn through reading/writing but I'm finding that with healthcare there's only so much you can learn from a textbook.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ray, when you're on the Titanic, you load the lifeboats. You don't stop to yell at the iceberg.
Community Manager

That's huge @j95 Smiley Happy  Sometimes there's not fun stuff we have to do to get to the things that we want to achieve or that are important to important to us. It's awesome that you're able to stick it out.  

Mod

Seems like studying isn't everyone's cup of tea, which is perfectly fine! But what do you do when you need to study a subject?

What makes it easier for you to stay focused and motivated when you study?

Mod

I think this kind of ties in with my previous answers.

Focused: listening to music, studying at the library, taking regular breaks

Motivated: rewarding myself. Also reminding myself of my long term goals and thinking about how good it will feel when I get good marks/graduate Smiley Happy

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ray, when you're on the Titanic, you load the lifeboats. You don't stop to yell at the iceberg.
Mod

It helps if the subject matter is interesting, of course, but if it isn't, then breaking things down into smaller parts and focusing on them one at a time. Just having really structured study sessions is super helpful for me, otherwise I tend to get distracted or not learn the material properly

Builder

Keeping in mind my goals and what the outcome will be at the end of all of this hard work - I'll be qualified (big goal) and one step closer to one of my life goals
//caught in fire, watch me burn gonna live my life, mark these words cause I'm home//
Mod

It's funny you talk about a cup of tea @safari93. I use a cup of tea to stay focused sometimes! 😊 Getting anxious over deadlines and frustrating problems can lower my motivation sometimes so calming down with a cup of tea has been helpful.

In the past, I've had to deceive myself in order to become motivated to study. I made a calendar and purposely made it so that assessments and things were due 3 days before they actually were due. So if I hadn't actually managed to get much done, I'd be so much more motivated to do so when the date got closer. It's not fun but it works. This in turn actually motivated me to chase the feeling and habit of finishing it early so that there's breathing room.
Super frequent scribe

Yeah, the whole idea of doing things perfectly is just unhelpful. It's an unrealistic standard and it can make you feel like you need to 'live up' to impossible expectations. And it's thoughts like these that perpetuate into you think you need to achieve highly. I have met so many people who hold the philosophy that says: "it's a HD or the highway" -- which is so far from the truth it isn't funny!

Know what I mean?
Top High Fived Authors