Mod

Re: [CHAT] Can we be your study buddy?

Ok I'm back, kind of. May or may not have a major assessment tomorrow I'm studying for Smiley Wink

Some great suggestions above! 

Yep there have definitely been times I've struggled to get all my work done. Sometimes it's because life just happens and it's really important and helpful to communicate, maybe get an extension, plan my time out and do what I can to get through the issue. 

Mod

@FootyFan26 creating time and space for study and assignments is useful! Actually implementing it in real life can be a bit tricky though. Have you ever applied that to an assignment or exam you've had to do?

Mod

In general, I cope by breaking the task down into smaller chunks, remembering my motivation and why I'm doing this in the first place and being kind to myself. Beating yourself up does not increase productivity! 

Builder

@safari93 I've thought about it...???
Builder

Have you ever struggled to get all your school, uni or TAFE work done? How did you cope?

So many times... I think I just tried my best to get it done while remembering that my mental health is important and if it isn't perfect and its given to the teacher the day after its due that is ok, obviously not ideal but its ok, its better to do it that way then become way too overwhelmed and stressed and give up
//caught in fire, watch me burn gonna live my life, mark these words cause I'm home//
Super frequent scribe

There is no question there were times when I struggled to get through my studies. I'm in my 3rd year now, and my 3rd year has been my worst year out of all so far! Mainly due to so many health issues cropping up. It was nasty. Long story short, my eyesight rapidly deteriorated in about the space of a week. My eyesight got so bad I couldn't read up close or far away - and as such I couldn't get any work done at all. Until I could afford a new pair of glasses (they are expensive when you're a uni student!)

So how did I cope? Well, at my university we have a support center for people who have disabilities. And they are very very supportive - if you work with them they really work closely with you, your lecturers, tutors etc to ensure that certain failsafes are implemented should things go awry. The disabled community are very lucky to have the support we do! I am incredibly grateful! So yeah, I took full advantage of these services and the measures put in place were very effective in terms of allowing me to focus on my recovery and not stress so much about uni while I got better! 

Mod

@FootyFan26 it's still a good start! Perhaps the next time you have SACs you can think about how best to create some time and space for them?

@Super_Me that's really amazing that your uni has that! Would definitely recommend everyone get familiar with their disabilities services at their uni or TAFE

Mod

Hi Everyone,
I am a Social work student who when studying at high school was also completing three tafe courses and doing work experience at my local newspaper. I was always quite the perfectionist until I graduated high school as my principal and teachers were basically drumming it into us that "failing to prepare was preparing to fail".
I didn't start studying again until I was 22, that's how long it took me to work out what I truly wanted to be when I grew up. Now I take things slowly, generally only study 50minutes at a time before I take a break. It's all about moderation, nothing worse than reading a textbook and becoming so bored you are not even taking in the knowledge.
Everyone has a different way they like to study, I oddly need some kind of TV show playing because it helps me to retain information. Or when I listen to lectures I like to draw a little to help retain some information. Everyone is different and you really need to learn what helps you study and retain information.

Hey, welcome @SmileMonkey!! Definitely agree with the emphasis on moderation, overdoing studies can lead to burnout and exhaustion. Plus, it is important to tailor your study methods to what your needs are

Builder

Am I the only one who studies for about 30 seconds then decides it's time for a break??? Smiley Happy
Top High Fived Authors