Builder

Re: [CHAT] Discussing mental health with your family

How can you normalise talking about mental health with your family?

I'm not really sure. Maybe talking about it in a general sense to plant the seed before talking about it personally. It can be tricky though.
Mod

@DirtWitch I definitely agree with both of your above comments (which probably aren't your 2 most recent posts by the time this posts!). 

@j95 It's tough when your family are part of the problem. It's not what they're supposed to be. I've seen so much of you being awesome though and trying to deal with it. 

For me personally, my family have always tried to be supportive of me but sometimes, although meaning well, in their caring they've done more harm than good. They however have no idea I've had mental illness or been on medication as I don't feel this is something I can tell them. 

I think it's important to say as well that family doesn't have to be biological family. It definitely rings true that sometimes family is the family you make yourself. I've had many amazing friends over the years who have been super supportive and helpful with my mental health and in other ways and they are like family to me. 

Mod

I'm so glad to hear that you have such positive experiences with your dad @redhead. I hope you're able to play cards with him and spend as much time together as possible Smiley Happy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My freedom is an agreement with myself. It's an acceptance and love for who I am that isn't dependent on performance or the will of other people - Renee Yohe
Mod

This has been a really interesting chat so far but unfortunately I am extremely tired and have to head off now. Thanks everyone goodnight! Smiley Happy
Highlighted
Builder

Yeah @Randomness One of my old foster families have done more for me than my parents have in my life time, and I've only been back in contact with for about 8 weeks after living with them for a few months when I was younger.
//caught in fire, watch me burn gonna live my life, mark these words cause I'm home//
Builder

[ Edited ]

I think we've already had some great suggestions here about opening up discussions on mental health...stuff like casually bringing it up with younger siblings so they know they can turn to you and also asking family members for little requests, e.g. ask them to go for a walk, remind you to eat etc. etc.

I think with older family members it's a bit harder. But I suppose once you have one member on your side they can back you up and also do some of the heavy lifting with others e.g. one parent can to talk the other one. Maybe drawing attention to campaigns like R U OK day would give you a chance to discuss MH without necessarily making it too personal? 

edit: night @May_!

@FootyFan26 Do you think you would be able to bring up asking your family for more opportunities to hang out? It does sound like a good start.

Mod

Definitely agree with you @Randomness, family doesnt have to be biological family! It can be friends, or family friends/mentors as well. Or all kinds of people that influence you in positive ways.

Mann these questions are super tough!! I find some of this stuff hard to talk about so sorry if I dont respond properly.

I think just starting conversations about it more so it becomes normal helps, finding time to maybe not talk about the illness but some of the symptoms and how you're going with them, what you think you need, how they can help which is sometimes hard to know but could start to make it normal.

Builder

Night @May_! Smiley Happy
Mod

How can you normalise talking about mental health with your family?

One thing for me is encouraging them (mostly one brother) not to use terms around mental health/illness as insults. Another is to validate their emotions, and to try and talk them through the experiences. With anything, I think the more familiar you are with something, the more comfortable you become with it, and I hope that can be true of families and mental illness

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My freedom is an agreement with myself. It's an acceptance and love for who I am that isn't dependent on performance or the will of other people - Renee Yohe
Builder

Bye @May_ Smiley Happy
Top High Fived Authors
User High Fives Count