Builder

Re: [CHAT]: Feel Good Feb - Being Kind

What sort of things motivate people to be kind? Does it matter if someone performs a kind act simply to receive praise from others? (Eg: filming and sharing it on social media)

For me, being able to make soimeone smile is enough motivation for me but I do see people on YouTube that I feel care more about the praise than anything else.  The act wil still be received well so it still makes the person happy but it's not entirely genuine.  I personally wouldn't feel as good about doing something like that if it wasn't genuine.

Community Manager

What sort of things motivate people to be kind? Does it matter if someone performs a kind act simply to receive praise from others? (Eg: filming and sharing it on social media)

I think lots of things motivate people to be kind, the biggest being that it feels good. I think we're wired to be kind to others it's part of being a social animal rather than something cranky and alone, like... i dunno, an owl? 

I think it's okay for people to do it for non-altruistic reasons (not just for the sake of being nice). I think what really matters is if the thing the person did came across as kind to the person they did the kind thing to. If you can get that far, i don't think it's a big deal if the person wants some recognition for it. Although it just means that it's not just about being kind. That doesn't feel right to me, but i can't really explain why, so maybe it's actually fine?  

Community Manager

Are we ready for the next Q? I like this question because it's kind of like a part of the previous question, but from a different angle, clever! 

What are some of the benefits of doing an act/acts of kindness?

Mod

Just wanting to make someone else feel better, wanting to make a positive contribution in the world, wanting to make life more meaningful if doing kind things for others is something that makes life more fulfilling, maybe to gain something in the end (i'm thinking networking here, but i guess it's win-win if people help each other)

I think it would make me see the act of kindness differently if it was just to receive praise, but yeah the outcome would be the same... that's a tricky one and interesting to think about

Builder

I think just knowing that you did something to make someone's day a little better is a benefit Smiley Happy There are probably sciency benefits as well, but I'm not a scientist... There's also the benefit to the person you were kind to - you might have totally made someone's day, who knows?

Mod

Wah! I forgot it was on! Oh noes!

Getting that goody feeling in you Smiley Happy

There's also ulterior motives, such as a promotion or increasing social standing I suppose but that happy feeling from doing something like that is pure bliss!

Builder

Haha @RevzZ Smiley Tongue What's up?

Community Manager

Heyyoooo @RevzZ Smiley Happy 

Mod

[ Edited ]

hello @RevzZ!

@Ben-RO that's interesting. so i guess it's the intention behind the random act of kindness... i guess 'faith in humanity restored' comes when the act is out of kindness itself rather than for non-altruistic reasons?

Mod

Hey @roseisnotaplant. Feeling kinda...eh..because I missed half the GR but I do find it ironic how only just today I paid for a customer's groceries because she didn't have enough money Smiley Happy

Top High Fived Authors