Builder

Re: [CHAT]: Feel Good Feb - Being Kind

What are some of the benefits of doing an act/acts of kindness?

I think because it feels good and because it usually doesn't do any harm. It can take a lot of effort to be purposely rude to someone.
Builder

Nice to have you here @RevzZ!

The big one is making someone else feel good and feeling good that they feel good if that makes sense.  The satisfaction of making someone smile is just amazing in my opinion!

Builder

Next question served!!!

Do you think that the media portrays a particular kind of kindness?

Mod

[ Edited ]

@RevzZ that's really nice!

@roseisnotaplant i agree, sometimes a small act of kindness can change someone's day, and if they're having a tough time, it might even change their life! i think especially when i'm having a bad time, i appreciate the acts of kindness a lot more.

also makes the world a little better Smiley Happy and even better if it were a lot of people doing an act of kindness each!

and it can be free haha

Mod

@FootyFan26 @Ben-RO @cupcakes_032

Image result for hello gif

I honestly would like to believe that they don't but I'm not too sure. I think the media likes to show that we have to actually DO something in front of others but for me, even just treating everyone equally is a kindness in of itself.

Builder

I agree @RevzZ. I think it mainly recognises the larger acts of kindness rather than all of the smaller things as well.
Builder

Well, it depends on the media. In the communities I choose to interact with online (most of which are on YouTube, I use that a lot so I'll use it as the example here), kindness is kind of an inherent feature - the vlogbrothers raise money for charities every year during the Project for Awesome, member's of Hannah Hart's community volunteer in their irl communities, the comments are generally polite(ish) and positive(ish). But on the same platform you can also find people saying horrific things about each other. So yeah, it depends.

I think in general media like news, kindness isn't even a feature at all. The focus is on the bad things.

Builder

I don't really see the media on TV portray things like this often but often the acts are very big and not so much the small everyday things.

Mod

[ Edited ]

Hey now @Ben-RO, owls are only cranky when you mess with them

cranky owl

The rest of the time they're actually quite accomodating Smiley Tongue

aww yiss

Re: Does it matter if someone performs a kind act simply to receive praise from others? (Eg: filming and sharing it on social media)

Hmm...I don't think it does. The way I think about it is a two-step process.

Step 1: Do something nice.

Step 2: Brag about it, rub it in other people's faces etc.

The fact that someone plans on doing Step 2 when they're going through with Step 1 doesn't actually lessen the impact that Step 1 has. If I donate $1000 to charity under the express intent or bragging about it later, whether or not I actually brag (or if people are receptive to my bragging/praise me, etc.), doesn't actually diminish the amount of cash that the charity receives. The $1000 it got doesn't suddenly drop in value and become $500, just because I happened to brag about how nice it was of me to donate so much money. So in that respect, I don't think it matters whether or not people go about being nice with ulterior motives in mind.

Where Step 2 kicks in, is that, regardless of what you do (help out at a dog shelter, feed a homeless person, volunteer in a anti-sex trafficking non-profit, etc.) you are not entitled to people's respect. Acting as if you are is a pretty surefire way of making yourself seem like a dick. This isn't even necessarily just about being nice- it goes for everything. Donald Trump might be the President of the United States now, but I think we can all agree that he's not particularly well-respected regardless of the magnitude of that accomplishment. People don't owe you anything, least of all their opinions. It doesn't matter which currency you try to use; respect isn't bought, it's earned.

So people who do Step 1 with the express intention of being "compensated" for it later with respect and adoration are people who do nice things, without necessarily being nice people per se. The value of their actions isn't diminished, but I think if you're someone who does this, you're only kidding yourself by expecting that people will have to respect you for it.

For what it's worth, I think it's the same deal for people who work out and exercise just to get validation from people by posting post-gym sesh selfies. The fact that you did it to get facebook and instagram likes doesn't magically evaporate all that muscle you put on, but nobody has to like your posts if they don't feel like it.

Mod

First thing that comes to my mind is when someone has saved someone else from a shark attack or something like that.. I don't know why that's the first thing that comes to mind. So sticking to that answer, big heroic things

But I think there's probably more little random acts of kindness shown on news programs now to make things more interesting/fun for viewers? I'm not really sure though cos I haven't been watching much tv recently, but i'm thinking more ordinary, everyday acts of kindness rather than heroic-y ones

Top High Fived Authors