Builder

Re: [CHAT] Gender and Sexuality!?

We're as bad as each other @DruidChild Smiley Tongue
Super star contributor

[ Edited ]

It can take a while to figure out all this stuff, and even if you know, it can be hard to get the hang of inviting people in to what you have learned about your identity. What support is out there? Who can you talk to?

I know that there are lots of services and stuff out there, but for me I found that it was most accessible for me to talk to my counsellor and psychologist and nurses, I already knew them so it wasn't as scary, and mostly I had positive reactions. There's also services like QLife and eheadspace who can help. Kids Helpline helped me out a bit at one point. 

Yep @roseisnotaplant Smiley LOL

Casual scribe

It can take a while to figure out all this stuff, and even if you know, it can be hard to get the hang of inviting people in to what you have learned about your identity. What support is out there? Who can you talk to? 

This is important to raise as if one is struggling with sexuality or gender identity it can be really easy to fall into the mindset of 'No one understands me' because there are people out there going through the same thing than you, but it can take some digging to find them. From personal experience I found talking to my closest friends really good as they kind of just got it, and explaining it to them clarified it in my head. I also loved coming to forums like this, explaining my mess of a brain and people just being like SAME THO! I'd say talk to the parents but I haven't even told mine yet so... of course if someone is really struggling then there are always helplines and professionals that are willing to help, but it can take a while to find someone that you click with and really trust 

Mod

Qlife! It's a national helpline/webchat service for LGBTI people. They can also give referals to LGBTI friendly people to talk to like psychologists and counsellor which is always handy! Smiley Happy

Mod

@roseisnotaplant @spicyunicorn (absolutely awesome username Smiley Very Happy) you have both made my night. Puns are what give me life! Cat LOL

Eh, I don't really have any supports. I do have my parents who I occasionally rant to about gender roles (without using the word gender roles of course Smiley Tongue) but other than that... no one. Which I don't mind, I mean, the gender role stuff is sooo annoying but otherwise it's just something there. People who know me don't expect me to be a "girl" (although there was some annoying pressure to put make up on for school dances *sighs* can't win them all Smiley Tongue) so I'm fine with that. They know I don't wear skirts or dresses or jewelry or make up or do "girly" things and that's all I need. The release of that societal pressure to be what my body is.
Sexuality wise, well my friends aren't blind (in fact, one of my friends was the one who introduced asexuality to me) so I'm pretty sure they know what card I've got up my sleeve *badum tssss*
Although the family is a pain in the butt, not parents and such but extended family with their marriage and whatever.
So yes. That's all folks Smiley Tongue
Casual scribe

@DruidChild  i'm so glad you could trust those professionals, it can be really difficult sometimes so i'm proud of you Smiley Happy

Builder

It can be tough at first. The obvious first choice is the internet - it can be anonymous if you want it to, and it's fairly easy to find people going through the same stuff as you, which makes for an awesome base level of support. (I have watched every coming out video on youtube Smiley Tongue). Then confiding in people you trust would be the next step. (I told my best friend I was gay and they were like, 'Cool, well I think I'm trans and maybe demisexual.' People will surprise you and react better than you think for the most part.) Then you would eventually be open with everyone. Scary.

Casual scribe

@N1ghtW1ng  well you know you've got us now Smiley Wink

Mod

@DruidChild that was definitely amaceing. Smiley Very Happy
Mod

@N1ghtW1ng I'm sorry you don't feel liek you have many supports, but it's good that you feel that you have some from your friends Smiley Happy

Top High Fived Authors