Super frequent scribe

Re: [CHAT] Gender and Sexuality!?

labels are such a personal thing, and the way that one identifies is totally up to them, it's no one else's decision but their own. and yeah gender can mean something different to everyone, it's how the person feels comfortable expressive themselves as

Mod

@DruidChild Interesting, what do you mean by personal construct?

Super frequent scribe

Hehe thank you! I think they are totally different, they can be intermingled for sure but one can be sexually attracted to one thing but romantically attracted to another, or only experience one or neither, and again this can change over time

Super frequent scribe

hehehehehe thank you Smiley Very Happy

Builder

How important is it to you to find a sexuality/gender label that suits you?

I like having a 'label' so that I can find people who share that identity and we can share experiences or whatever. Like there are lots of very specific internet communities where people who identify a certain way feel comfortable and accepted. I don't think everyone needs a label though, it's your choice.

Mod

@spicyunicorn definitely, I would totally agree that different qualities can related to different forms of attraction 

Super star contributor

@Chessca_H I definitely do agree that gender is a social construct, but, to me, gender also has a very internal aspect and I'm just not comfortable suggesting that all of the ways that I feel about gender come from something outside me. For me gender is a social construct but it's also constructed out of personal feelings/memories stuff like that. I think. I don't really know though Smiley LOL

What do you think? 

How important is it to you to find a sexuality/gender label that suits you?

To me it's been really important...I wanted to find out who I was and just as importantly who I belonged with. I totally agree with you there @roseisnotaplant!! Being able to share experiences and have a community is really important to me as well Smiley Happy Although I do also sometimes use the term queer as a catch all label. 

Mod

HELLO EVERYONE

Sorry I'm late!

@spicyunicorn omg I love that username hahah. It reminds me of spicy capsicum dip which is my favourite.....mmmm
Super frequent scribe

This is an interesting question for me, as it is something that has changed significantly over the last few years. I used to be so obsessed with finding exactly the right label in order to understand what i was experiencing, but I realised that was really only causing me more harm than good. I'm getting better at learning to just go with the flow and have the hots for whoever i have the hots for. I'm much more attracted to a personality than confined by their gender. I still feel that urge to find a label for it, but certainly not as much as I used to, I'm beginning to understand the complexity of human sexual attraction and that we don't all necessarily fit into a box, but that's really quite beautiful

Builder

Hey @May_ Smiley Very Happy
Top High Fived Authors