Re: [CHAT] Gender and Sexuality!?

@spicyunicorn lol, love it Smiley LOL

Super star contributor

Lol punsexual I'm going to be using that from now on Smiley LOL

Builder

I've got a brand new shiny question for y'all;

Do you think different types of gender or sexual identity have different impacts on your mental health? What's up with that?

Mod

@spicyunicorn schamozzle captures it well! Smiley Wink Sometimes I wonder how anyone can be so sure about how they feel Smiley Tongue
Casual scribe

Do you think different types of gender or sexual identity have different impacts on your mental health? What's up with that?

Yeah I agree. LGBT+ people tend to experience a lot of inner turmoil and confusion, a longing to figure out what they truly are, but this can take a long time and can get extremely frustrating. It doesn't help that society is not always fully accepting of LGBT+ people and can make some feel really isolated and alone, like no one understands them

Mod

Because of stigma against genders/sexualities that aren't considered "normal" (i.e. being straight and cisgender) it's unfortunately pretty common for people who identify as members of the LGBTI community to have higher levels of mental health issues. I think changes in societal views to be more positive will help to fix that issue, as well as acknowledging that different genders and sexualities have different needs and interests.

Builder

Yep, there's a whole bunch of complicated science that says LGBT+ people have a much higher rate of mental health issues than the general population. There's a few reasons I think this might be the case:

• Having to hide who you are and ur identity just to be safe because society.
  • Not feeling comfortable with yourself because society.
  • Being discriminated against for who you are because society.
  • Society.
Mod

[ Edited ]

I think it's all in how the individual perceives their own identity and how they perceive other's will perceive it.....perceive...perceive....

Eg if other's react negatively to their identify then it can obviously have a huge impact.

I think feeling confused/not-normal can also impact on mental health because there is a fair amount of pressure to find a label and know yourself really well

Casual scribe

@May_  isn't it such a good word Smiley Very Happy the journey of self discovery is different for everyone and maybe we'll never truly grasp what we are. I think it's about learning to embrace that, and then we really see the beauty of being unique

Mod

@spicyunicorn That's true, the inner experience can have just as big of an impact as the outer experience

Top High Fived Authors