Builder

Re: [CHAT] Gender and Sexuality!?

I agree @spicyunicorn. And from the my friends that are LGBT +, I know they find it hard within themselves and then there are the extra outside pressures from society that don't always accept them.
Super frequent scribe

@Alison5  it's hard to know whether society will be fully accepting, so I think the more confident we are in ourselves the happier and more confident we will be, but that can be really difficult

Mod

What do gender and sexuality mean to you, what's the difference between the two? 

I can't quite explain what gender means to me. To be honest, it's just a pain in the butt because of society. Sexuality is simply who you're attracted to. So, basically, gender is who you ARE and sexuality is who you're ATTRACTED too.

Another way to look at the difference (which has been mentioned, I'm pretty sure) is that sexuality is social whereas gender is interna

@Ben-RO yes to the gender unicorn. Which I've also seen as a gingerbread person (Genderbread Smiley Very Happy)

How important is it to you to find a sexuality/gender label that suits you?

Not at all. I'm still floating on my gender (I tick the female box because I base it down to what's physical) plus sometimes I'm like "swirly skirts!" not that I wear them and also ooh that's pretty (jewelry wise) as a feminine view but then other times it's like ew no thanks. But I just shrug my shoulders because it really doesn't matter to me. My gender label, for me and this is completely for myself, is just for other people, because I don't need one. Sexuality is the same, I don't really need one (although I have one and I am definitely Ace Smiley Wink (I just really wanted to say how ace I am, because I am so ace and also because I love the double meaning of the word, triple if you count the card) and I'm aware that I'm rambling. Oh well. 

To summarise, no, it's not important, to me of course. To others it can absolutely be important.

If you feel like sharing (it's totally okay if you don't want to) what do you identify as? 

In case it was missed above, I'm ace (or asexual Smiley Tongue) and my gender is *shrugs*. Biologically, I'm female. Genderly(what word would you even use for that? I dunno, but we should find one) I'm whatever because I don't care. I think the main reason I object to being a girl is societies standards on gender and gender roles so I don't want that at all. I don't want to be seen as a girl and be expected to do girl-things (which unfortunately happens but what can you do? Just ignore the dummies Smiley Tongue)

Do you think different types of gender or sexual identity have different impacts on your mental health? What's up with that?

Yes. It's not that specific gender or sexual identities have impacts but it's that having a different to the expected norm can impact your mental health in both a positive (especially when you're supported in your choices!) and negative impacts. What with societal pressures and all that, it can be hard to get things done. Okay, the end of that sentence didn't make any sense but let's pretend it did. 

Everyone's pretty much covered things that can impact mental health in regards to this (I'm getting distracted, sorry!) 

But yeah, now I'm all caught up! Smiley Happy

Mod

@N1ghtW1ng Aaaah so much answers! Smiley Very Happy

Builder

Wow, those were some ace responses @N1ghtW1ng! (Pun very much intended.)

Super frequent scribe

@roseisnotaplant  that was brilliantly done, I commend you, you played your cards well Smiley Wink

Mod

Time for another Q!

It can take a while to figure out all this stuff, and even if you know, it can be hard to get the hang of inviting people in to what you have learned about your identity. What support is out there? Who can you talk to? 

Super star contributor

Yay awesome answers @N1ghtW1ng Smiley Happy

Builder

Were those cards that I played aces @spicyunicorn?

Super star contributor

Or should I say am-ace-ing @N1ghtW1ng Smiley Wink (I'm sorry, I'm bad at puns) 

Top High Fived Authors