Builder

Re: [CHAT]: How to do something that scares the shit out of you

@Ben-RO I would say when you don't feel comfortable, but of course you wont feel comfortable if your doing something scary. I think when you feel unsafe or like you're in serious danger, or would be if you were to do the thing you were scared of. Interesting question though, I'm not really sure.

Builder

What are some of your strategies for overcoming your fears?
Slowly exposing myself to what I'm afraid of (only some things)
Accepting I'm scared and using it to motivate me to achieve good things.
Breathing exercises.
Talking to my therapist.
Builder

dk.jpg

Builder

So how do we know when we need to push through it and when it's okay to not challenge a fear or anxiety?
I don't know the answer to this one @Ben-RO
With my ocd I know I should challenge the behaviours but sometimes it's too hard
Builder

If it's an irrational fear, keep telling yourself that. It might not help much, but at least you know that it's not a serious threat, even if that's not how you feel. If it's a rational fear, give yourself a way out if you need it, even if that's like hanging up the phone on a scary phone call. Maybe get help from a friend, and ask if they might do the scary thing with you.

Builder

@j95 just nope. I can't even look at photos of spiders without freaking out...
Mod

I guess it depends on whether you are going to be a better person or not if you push through it. So a way to think of it is ... Is doing this going to get me closer to my values and/or goals or will it have no effect or put you further behind?

@Ben-RO @roseisnotaplant

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ
Community Manager

That leads me to another question. Are we ever hard on ourselves for being scared of or not doing something we know we shouldn't be scared of? Does that help? 

Builder

Taking a bit of time to think through it.. if there is time of course. Breathing. Talking about it with friends if I'm feeling up to it.

Builder

Aww man @stonepixie @j95 you guys are making me feel sorry for the spiders Smiley Tongue (There were literally two in my locker at school today, and one masive one crawled across my laptop screen last night. I think it's the heat that's making them appear everywhere.)

Top High Fived Authors