Builder

Re: [CHAT]: How to do something that scares the shit out of you

[ Edited ]

Does fear stop you from doing things? Is there anything you're currently not doing, or have lately not done, out of fear?

Fear does stop me from things and even if I do them, I don't really feel like I'm 'in the moment' enough to enjoy it because that fear and anxiety is always there, lingering. 

A few months ago something pretty big happened in my life and because of fear I haven't even told one person, and thats pretty difficult. One day I'll push past the fear and ask for some help with it,even if it means I start talking about it here on RO before I deal with it in real life. 

But other things, not to that extreme that I don't do because of fear could be really small things like not swimming in the super super deep pool or choosing a car park that is easy to get into so I don't have to worry about accidentally hitting another car or something haha

Builder

Does fear stop you from doing things? Is there anything you're currently not doing, or have lately not done, out of fear?

I don't think fear stops me from doing things at the moment. I can't remember the last time I stopped something out of fear. Maybe not going to a party a few months ago because I was worried about some of the people going..

Builder

Totally. Sometimes you can make yourself do it (high ropes course, moving a spider outside) but sometimes the fear just takes over and it suuuucks (talking to people, going to social events).

Nice pun @Ben-RO Smiley LOL

Mod

All the time!!!

Right now I am avoiding fb over a ranty rant I made in a group over the use of derogatory terms used to describe people with MH issues. I fear what they have written back to me. I'm not really one for conflict, but I couldn't let this one slide.

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ
Mod

redhead wrote:
... "I have to walk somewhere new half hour early in case I can't find it then spend half hour walking around the block so I'm not too early and won't be judged." ... "I check my pocket at least 20 times a day so I haven't lost my keys."

ME TOO!

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ
Builder

Oh I do the keys thing @redhead. I check my pocket and my keys aren't there, and my brain is like IT'S THE END OF THE WORLD AAAAGH. And then they're in my other pocket. I wish I didn't do that, it's a cause of a lot of unecasary panic Smiley Sad

Community Manager

So I see three types of fear here. 

Fear of tangible events that will almost certainly happen for e.g big scary dog 

Fear of things that might have consequences for example talk about something that's hard to talk about and that might change things or make things real... someone help me define that better

Fear of things that might not actually be bad, but are scary anyway, for example bugs or being late (which is okay). 

Are there other ways to kind of categorise the types of fear we have about things? 

Mod

Absolutely! If I'm afraid of something it can seem so much easier to just run away and hide. It's not always the best thing for us in the long term to avoid things and not face our fears. I've been really challenged by this lately. Uni and prac amongst other things were scaring the life out of me and I wasn't pushing myself and doing my best because I was so scared. As I'm working through this I'm learning just how much I'm capable of and that my best is more than good enough. 

Builder

haha @redhead @stonepixie me too!! if its a 10 minute drive away i'll still leave 30 minutes before I need to be there
Builder

Ben-RO wrote:

Fear of things that might have consequences for example talk about something that's hard to talk about and that might change things or make things real... someone help me define that better

Fear of judgment, rejection, abandonment, could come from this one. 

Top High Fived Authors