Community Manager

Re: [CHAT]: How to do something that scares the shit out of you

@j95 @stonepixie I wish i had your problem! I am very good at being late :/ 

Mod

Yes ... that, @j95!

Now that we have spoken about recent things fear stopped us from doing, what do you think you are afraid of happening?

Although, just quietly, I think @Ben-RO already has this covered.

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ
Builder

Ages ago I used to work a 5 minute drive away and if I hadn't left by 12 minutes to the hour I would start stressing out
Mod

Ah I'm so bad at being late too, even when it's really important.
Builder

Now that we have spoken about recent things fear stopped us from doing, what do you think you are afraid of happening?

I think there's lots of things that have been mentioned already for this one. I think we can all be afraid of things like embarassment, rejection, getting hurt and more specific stuff like thinking you could fall from a height.

Mod

I'm still late to things! Still not used to public transport running on time! It is crazy, who knew such a payment system would be so successful at making buses run on time?

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ
Super star contributor

Oh I didn't want to miss this chat because fear seems to take over life right now

Mod

Depending on what type of fear it is, I think we're afraid of things because of potential negative consequences. Like I am afraid of spiders in case I get bitten or one crawls on me or appears somewhere I don't want it. On a bigger scale, certainly for me, a lot of my fears and sometimes avoidance is because of perfectionism and insecurity and a fear of messing up and not being good enough. I'm so afraid of doing something wrong that sometimes I don't do anything at all. 

Community Manager

@stonepixie well kind of although i am really interested to hear about fear when the fear doesn't quite make sense when you stop and think about it. Like for example I am irrationally scared of Leaches. Like.... just nope. Even though i know that really if i ever did get a leach on me, i'd just use a bit of salt and then I wouldn't have a leach on me anymore. But the level of fear i have of that happening would make you think that i was going to lose a leg a leach got on it... I know that won't happen, I know I can just deal with it, but that doesn't stop me being terrified. It's weird. 

Community Manager

@Randomness I have dealt with that fear in the past too. Not fun, huh.

Randomness wrote:

I'm so afraid of doing something wrong that sometimes I don't do anything at all. 

Top High Fived Authors