Mod

Re: [CHAT]: How to do something that scares the shit out of you

With all this talk about fear, I want to know how you have pushed through it in the past.

Firstly I want to say that sometimes I don't manage to push through and and that's ok. Sometimes pushing through things for me can be a matter of sucking it up and just doing it. Some self talk and reassurance or a pep talk from others can be helpful too. As some of my fear is perfectionism and afraid of messing up based, sometimes I need to remind myself that I don't have to be perfect and it's better and I'll get further if I try. 

In other senses though, I'm known for being a little bit crazy and super fearless when I probably should be scared and sometimes do things I maybe shouldn't... Smiley Tongue

Builder

With all this talk about fear, how have you pushed through it in the past?

Using steps and creating lists. I think I did this a little while ago here on RO when I needed to book an appointment. I wrote out what I had to do, took one step had a break, chilled out, then did the second. and eventually it worked out. Now I use it all the time - have to make a phone call, sure, dial the number, count to 10, press the call button, probably hang up a couple of times, repeat the process until I'm ready for the next part which is waiting for the dial tone and speaking.
Mod

Ah, yes @j95. Breaking the task up into littler things to make it more managable.

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ
Builder

@j95  I really like the idea of planning out the steps.. tackling one part at a time would be a lot easier than taking on the whole scary thing at once.

Community Manager

I really agree with @roseisnotaplant

Not saying it's easy, but action is the single most powerful thing to defeat anxiety. Once you have done the thing you need to so, you won't be worrying about it, because it's done! It also is really good because the more worrying we're doing, the less time we're spending building skills to not worry and that makes it harder to stop! 

Mod

And you're not feeding the monster to the point that it consumes you @roseisnotaplant and @Ben-RO

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ
Builder

Occasionally @stonepixie. That's where I abandon ship and hide under my bed for a few months (except I don't hide under my bed because spiders...)

Mod

I think it is safe to move onto the next question ...

What are some of your strategies for overcoming your fears? 

Community Manager

So how do we know when we need to push through it and when it's okay to not challenge a fear or anxiety? 

Mod

Spiders are equally scared of us as we are of them. They just want a home to make nice things.

Top High Fived Authors