Mod

Re: [CHAT] I'm out of time, all the time!

Seeing as planning has come up...

Is planning a neccesity for good time management? Why/why not?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ray, when you're on the Titanic, you load the lifeboats. You don't stop to yell at the iceberg.
Community Manager

@StarLord i gave you a tag in the Builders thread where you can find the questions! Damn good question though! 

Builder

Yeah sorry, I just skipped ahead in response to your question @StarLord. But the tips are useful nevertheless. Smiley Happy
Mod

[ Edited ]

@StarLord all good! There's no such thing as too many questions during GRs haha - if you've got one to share then fire away! (But yeah, check out the builders threads and you'll find questions Smiley Happy)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ray, when you're on the Titanic, you load the lifeboats. You don't stop to yell at the iceberg.
Mod

[ Edited ]

How do you make the most of your time? 

I think trying to get into a focused state of mind so that I'm ready to do the task. Also, a sense of urgency (e.g. the deadline coming up very soon) can really get me focused quickly! But that's pretty stressful and in the end the stress itself might be even more distracting

Looking forward to hearing about everyone's tips because I feel like I haven't been very productive lately!

Builder

I think an aspect of planning is necessary for effective time management, but as I said above, when it gets to the point of taking over the time you could be doing the activity, it is more detrimental than helpful.

Planning reduces mistakes in the future and helps set out what you need to do, clearly in your head or on paper.

Mod

@Alison5 can definitely relate to spending more time making to-do lists than actually doing the things on the to-do list Smiley Tongue

Mod

Hey @cupcakes_032 Smiley Happy There's nothing like a deadline to induce a sense of panic to finish things Smiley Tongue that's true though that the stress can also backfire and cause us to become less productive

Builder

[ Edited ]

How do you make the most of your time?

I don't Smiley Very Happy Being focused and productive is a very good way to use your time.  And also using it to take care of yourself is good.

It tells you what you should be or want to be doing and at what time but it's your job to actually carry that plan out so I'd actually say no.  I feel like sometimes it's fine to have goals to be completed on a day that just get done as the day goes on and things just flow.

Mod

I think my answer is going to echo everyone elses. In short: absolutely! Our brains are great at trying to distract us with trivial things so it's important that we have a plan so we can stay on track. It also helps to prevent us becoming super overwhelmed at the last second because we've been procrastinating the whole time Smiley Tongue I also think there's such a thing as over-planning though - having a super regimented schedule that has no room for flexibility doesn't tend to end well either.

Top High Fived Authors