Community Manager

Re: [CHAT] I'm out of time, all the time!

[ Edited ]

Is planning a neccesity for good time management? Why/why not?

I think so, why? Well I think it helps you decide what's important and also to notice when you did a thing that you have decided is important too! It's amazing how much we can forget we have done for ourselves, planning a little bit doesn't just help you think about what you want to do, it helps you notice and celebrate what you have already done - I'd note that this is definitely something that i have decided for myself, it might not be something everybody decides to do! 

How do I make the most of my time?

I am pretty nerdy, I think about all the things I do and put them in 5 lists. 

1. Done.

2. Urgent, important

3. Not Urgent, Important

4. Urgent, Not Important

5. Not Urgent Not Important.

I never do the stuff in 5 Smiley Tongue  

Builder

Sorry, I've mucked the order of the questions.

So first we should answer (if you haven't already) Is planning a neccesity for good time management? Why/why not?

Then we can get to our own tips and how we manage our time.

Community Manager

that's okay @Alison5! Practice makes perfect! 

Mod

@Ben-RO list 4 and 5 are the same? or is that a typo Smiley Tongue (love the idea though, I'll have to try it!)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ray, when you're on the Titanic, you load the lifeboats. You don't stop to yell at the iceberg.
Builder

@Ben-RO do you organise that in a table or just a list?
Mod

I think planning helps make things more efficient because otherwise you might go into the task not being sure of what to do, wasting time doing bits that are unnecessary and that will get 'deleted' later on. Planning from the start helps me focus on what has to be done and then I can go and try to complete those things one at a time, knowing that I'm making progress towards the end goal.

Community Manager

Hah yes they are @lokifish... Derp! I fixed! 

Mod

What is productivity?

I think it's using your time well and spending an appropriate amount of time on things eg. doing something but not being really harsh on ourselves like some of us perfectionists are! I think productivity does include self care etc. as that is essential and it helps us have a clearer head to do everything else we need to do! 

Not sure about necessity but I think it really helps. Planning ahead can help you know what you need to do, when you need to do it and how much time you have to put to each thing. I think also good time management is a skill and rhythm you develop over time through practice. 

Builder

I also love that idea @Ben-RO. I also agree completely about how having a schedule too regimented, can lead to its own problems @lokifish
Builder

Time for our next question!

Why does time 'fly by' when I have so much to do? 

What are your thoughts on this question? Is this all mental?

Top High Fived Authors